starter issues

-

dartman1965

Reaction score
I just got finished putting the trans back in my 65.Its a 340/904.At this time I installed a mopar mini starter to replace the old full size unit.I have never had a problem or had to use a shim on a mopar but this unit makes a shrill noise when starting.Does anyone think a shim will help or do I have a bad unit?This is the same case / converter that I just rebuilt so the starter is the only change.

I have also had problems when converting to the mini starter. It makes a clicking sound like it isnt getting enough power. I have tried multiple starters and same problem. Hopefully someone can help us here.

you might want to take a look at the upper starter bolt first. if you are just using a stock 7/16 bolt it might not have the starter centered right. i lost the original stud and ended up just making an insert to center it up in that larger upper starter mount. also keep in mind that if its rebuilt that sometimes they are not done very well and i have seen a few with loose drive gears. Fwaugh it sounds like you might have a bad ground. if the starter is clicking it just means you have voltage but you pobably dont have the amps to spin it.

-
Back