Starter issues

-

Paul Davidson

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I didn't get much traction on another thread so I will try this here.
I'm having an issue with my starter drive gear sticking in my ring gear also how close should the drive gear be to the ring gear when not engaged
Motor is a fresh built 408 im using a Dakota style small starter and I have a lakewood cast bell any help would be wonderful

Do you have a 130 /143 tooth flywheel?
There is a 172 tooth ( I think that is accurate )
for a non gear reduction starter that the pitch of
the gear may cause the starter to stick in engaged
position.

I didn't get much traction on another thread so I will try this here.
I'm having an issue with my starter drive gear sticking in my ring gear also how close should the drive gear be to the ring gear when not engaged
Motor is a fresh built 408 im using a Dakota style small starter and I have a lakewood cast bell any help would be wonderful

Hey Paul,

Is this a new starting motor

Have you checked the pinion shaft on the starter motor to see if it is sticking there

How are the teeth on the pinion gear

I always use the 130 tooth flywheel and ring gear torque converters with the Dakota mini starters.

383, 360, 318 all use the same mini starter.

☆☆☆☆☆

I ran into this on a mini starter . I believe an after market. One of the mounting holes was larger and it called for a bushing that I didn't get with the starter.

yes. agree...... if the starter pinion teeth are wedged right into the root of the the ring gear teeth it can get a bit stuck

ideally that skirt on the pinion hits the flat side of the ring gear and stops the pinion ofver shooting, well before there is any real deflection of the pinion due to wedging the teeth of both together, in a mesh they were not supposed to achieve
**** the starter out on its mount, if you have a big mount hole/ small bellhousing stud combination and see if it gets better.

basically that bush sounds like a good idea

if you use the bell housing seal, steal shim, does it fit your starter snout?
fits, or hole too big (original style)...Fine
too small and it will hold the starter out from the mount and the end won't properly engage in the bellhousing register

Dave

I ran into this on a mini starter . I believe an after market. One of the mounting holes was larger and it called for a bushing that I didn't get with the starter.
Did you find a bushing if so where

-
Back