starter keeps cranking with no key in ignition

-

busteds13

Reaction score
it'll just keep going until it decides to shut off, and i'm not getting any spark to the cylinders. going to check for voltage across the coil next, but gotta get a wasp nest out of that area (i really wish i was kidding). anybody have any ideas on this one?

I would start off with the starter relay. It may be sticking or you could have a short in your ignition switch.

cool, cool. where would the starter relay be? this is a '66 Valiant, probably should mention that.
Is there some source material I should have that shows where everything is? This isn't my first project, but it IS my first 43 year old project.

thanks!

Mine is on the fire wall, I have a 66 Valiant /6

bbbb4.jpg

memike, i think you're going to wind up being my go-to guy for this project, if you don't mind a lot of stupid questions.

thanks a lot. the white thing to the left is the ballast resistor, yeah?

memike, i think you're going to wind up being my go-to guy for this project, if you don't mind a lot of stupid questions.

thanks a lot. the white thing to the left is the ballast resistor, yeah?

Yep it is,:-D and any time you need any help or pictures just ask any time.
If you need a quick response and some of the great tec's we have here are out working or playing just post your ? then pm me so I can help if I can.
Make sure you disconect the battery when you change the relay out.:-D

thanks man. where can i get a new starter relay? autozone doesn't seem to list it. they've got an ignition switch but no relay. should i find a wiring diagram and use a universal?

Napa , should have one or they can have one the next day for you if you have one where you live.

Does it do it all the time ? The new ignition switch could be the problem.

Is you Valiant an automatic or standard ? they are different.
I just called my NAPA store and they can get one over night.

it's a standard. i'm going to swap out the ignition switch and see what happens, after that i guess i'll check out napa. thanks a lot!

STARTER RELAY IS STUCK!!!!!! I had the same problem not too long ago. It's either just stuck or you hooked it up backwards. I would try that. Mine was stuck on. I chucked it and installed a new one. Problem gone.

Oh, I got all of my under the hood stuff online at ROCK AUTO.com They have everything.

Thanks 65barracudadude, its in my favorites now.
I believe I would pick up an extra ballast resister to while he was there if he don't have fire at the plugs, or put it in the clove box.

-
Back