starter motor for slant six

-
Something Dan did leave off is that from the early 60's through the Denso units, starter speed gradually went up

Naw, I didn't…!
redbeard.gif

quite a difference, though the '87 is not a denso starter.

The '87 has the 1.8hp long-frame starter with 2:1 gear reduction. The '73's original starter would've been a 1.3hp series/shunt short-frame unit p/n 3656 650 if it was early production, or a 1.5hp 4-series short-frame unit p/n 3656 575 if it was late production. Keep in mind also that all the short-frame field coils can be installed in all the short-frame field housings, so if the starter's ever been across a rebuilder's bench, it may not have the same field coil configuration and size as it originally did. Your '73 sounds like it has a 4-series unit; cranking speed is faster than with the 3-series/1-shunt. For comparison, here's a 3-series/1-shunt short-frame starter cranking a V8 (a 2095 150 in a '66 Monaco).

SSD:

"-'63-'66 Canadian-built vehicles used Prestolite ("Auto Lite") direct-drive Bendix drive starter"

I'm nowhere near my car right now and can't check it, but it sounds like I have a direct drive. Car in Calgary, me in Ontario (out on Lake Erie but that's another story). My brother has a wrecking ya...OOOPs, I mean an automobile recycling yard, and I can get a Nippondenso starter from him, sounds like they are gear reduction and won't work on my '64 225 Valiant....are there any other smaller, lighter and more powerful starters that might??? The present starter is a huge heavy unit, as I'm sure you know.

TIA

Dan

SSD:

"-'63-'66 Canadian-built vehicles used Prestolite ("Auto Lite") direct-drive Bendix drive starter"

I'm nowhere near my car right now and can't check it, but it sounds like I have a direct drive.

Yup, your '64 Canadian Valiant would have a direct-drive starter. Sounds like this when cranking. (that's my '65, now departed, recorded long ago).

I can get a Nippondenso starter from him, sounds like they are gear reduction and won't work on my '64 225 Valiant.

Correct, it won't work on your '64…unless I sell you the one and only special adaptive starter drive I have on the shelf for you or your local auto electrical house to swap into the Nippondingdong starter so it will crank your car without changing the torque converter or flywheel (as applicable). Send me a PM.

are there any other smaller, lighter and more powerful starters that might?

There are custom-built mini starters that cost a whackload of money.

wow. cool. great information guys. thanks. i will call a local junkyard and get it done. right on! 88-91 ram truck starter motor...

-
Back