starter motor for slant six

-

firefighter1

Reaction score
hi guys,
i was wondering if i can take an original starter motor from my '71 dodge dart swinger 318v8 904 trans, and put it onto my 225 slant six motor 904 auto setup on my second '71 dart? same exact starters? will the 318 starter bolt onto the 225 slant six motor? thanks.

a starter motor from a slant will fit a hemi, 440, 318, what ever...

they all use the same starter but some are gear reduction so they spin slower...

a starter motor from a slant will fit a hemi, 440, 318, what ever...

they all use the same starter but some are gear reduction so they spin slower...

Uh, NO

First and second generation hemis (I.E. 354/392, etc, and 426) do NOT use the "one" gear reduction starter that most passenger / light trucks use

ALL of the "one" starter that fits years and years and YEARS of /6, 273, 318, 340, 360, 383, 400, 440 etc etc etc ARE gear reduction

ONLY the "street hemis" and some larger trucks did not use the "one" starter.

NOW really, there isn't "one." While all gear reduction starters bolt up OK and "work," there ARE some that are heavier duty and have a larger motor casing. What that means is, if you could go back in time and yank a starter off the "loaner 4 door /6" and put it on your high compression 440 sixpack, it just might not crank all that well.

well this starter was clearly not on a hemi, it was on a stock 318 all original. therefore, i gather it should work for my slant six....right? thanks.

OK..you just my attention.

Can I take the started off my /6 with really no miles and put it on a very mild 360 ?

A rebuilt stater at UAP is $ 120.00 plus tax...would be a nice savings if this could work.

Grassy

I took the starter off my 85 truck 360 and put it on my 72 225 motor I have with no problems. I also took a starter off a 74 225 and pit it on my 75 360. Hope this helps answer your question.

Uh, NO

First and second generation hemis (I.E. 354/392, etc, and 426) do NOT use the "one" gear reduction starter that most passenger / light trucks use

ALL of the "one" starter that fits years and years and YEARS of /6, 273, 318, 340, 360, 383, 400, 440 etc etc etc ARE gear reduction

ONLY the "street hemis" and some larger trucks did not use the "one" starter.

NOW really, there isn't "one." While all gear reduction starters bolt up OK and "work," there ARE some that are heavier duty and have a larger motor casing. What that means is, if you could go back in time and yank a starter off the "loaner 4 door /6" and put it on your high compression 440 sixpack, it just might not crank all that well.

good to know... and i know the gear reductions arn't the best lol... the slant in my 65 didn't like it but i had it around....

Hemipar,

Thank-you. I will try and I can use those $s elseware :)

Thank-you.

FABO is better than any manual.

Ian.

Ummmm... you need to shop elsewhere. Try Rockauto.com. Around $50.

Shipping to Nova Scotia is an absolute killer now that USPS have dropped their international ground service....the price difference just makes me squeek.

Grassy

Shipping to Nova Scotia is an absolute killer now that USPS have dropped their international ground service....the price difference just makes me squeek.

Grassy

yupp shipping to Canada, particlularly Nova Scotia is around $55 for a starter then theres the wait time of up to a month! Personally I shop around locally, if I know I'm heading to the city I call parts source, sometimes there cheaper.
Grassy, the number for sackville Parts source (Cobequid road) is 1-866-868-1300 thats toll free. It used to be the Fergusons but they were taken over

Used to buy a lot from Fergusons when they were down by the duck pond in Dartmouth.

Does the parts source do odd bits like shakel bushings ?

BTW, good summer so far ?

ian.

hi guys,
i was wondering if i can take an original starter motor from my '71 dodge dart swinger 318v8 904 trans, and put it onto my 225 slant six motor 904 auto setup on my second '71 dart? same exact starters? will the 318 starter bolt onto the 225 slant six motor? thanks.
Those two will interchange with no problems. In fact, I haven't seen a gear reduction Chrysler starter that wouldn't. There are some that were more heavy duty than others but most of the rebuilds were made with the heavier duty parts.

follow up question for you guys.... if i have the clifford header on my 225 slant six engine and i want to change the stock starter, will i need to unbolt the transmission from the engine for clearance? thanks.

Used to buy a lot from Fergusons when they were down by the duck pond in Dartmouth.

Does the parts source do odd bits like shakel bushings ?

BTW, good summer so far ?

ian.

parts source does alot of odd parts like Ferguson's used to, they also do loan a tool and wiring diagrams. Summer is going good, are you going to the Bridgewater Mopar show on the 28th?

First off: answer to the original question is YES, the 318 starter will go on the 225 just fine. They are one and the same in '71.

Secondly: "Remanufactured" starters are junk. They are unreliable and they sound like hell. If you want a brand-new Chrysler starter you can get one (a real one, not a "100% new!" copycat piece of junk from China) from Old Car Parts Northwest.

Almost all '62-'87 RWD Chrysler products built in North America used a Chrysler-built gear reduction starter. The exceptions are as follows:

-'66-'71 Hemi/4-speed cars used Chrysler direct-drive solenoid shift starter

-Slant-6 vehicles with 11" clutch (truck, taxi, police) used Chrysler direct-drive solenoid shift starter

-'63-'66 Canadian-built vehicles used Prestolite ("Auto Lite") direct-drive Bendix drive starter

The direct-drive starters don't interchange with the gear-reduction units because the drive pinion on the DD starter has 9 teeth and 25mm diameter, while the drive pinion on the GR starter has 10 teeth and 33mm diameter.

All the '62-'87 gear reduction starters are interchangeable, but they are not all alike. There is a wide range of cranking speed and torque. All the gear-reduction starters were electrically identical from '62 through early '73 (p/ns 2095 150, 2875 560, 3656 650) whether they went on a 225 or a 440 or anything in between, except all '63 engines and '64-'69 170 slant-6s got a starter with 4 series coils instead of 3 series/1 shunt. The 4-series starter (p/n 2098 500) has about 20% faster cranking speed than the 3-series/1-shunt unit. Rated power of both units is 1.3hp, though the 4-series unit is probably closer to 1.4hp.

In late '73 all engines got a 1.5hp version of this starter with 4 larger-than-'63 series coils (p/n 3656 575, 3755 900, 4091 975 and a few others). Cranking speed went up again.

All of the above starters have 3.75:1 gear reduction.

In '74 the large-frame 1.8hp version of the starter, with 2:1 gear reduction and much higher cranking speed was released on 360, 400, and 440 engines (p/n 3755 250, 4091 950, and a few others). From '74 through '87, the small-frame and large-frame starters were electrically unchanged and were used on various engine sizes depending on year, assembly plant, emissions package, and phase of the moon.

All the above starters interchangeable as long as you've got the space for the ~½" longer large-frame starter compared to the small-frame unit. Only a few of us really geek out on the differences among them.

The first version of the Nippondenso-made mini starter was used on Mopars in late '88. Subsequent versions of it were made smaller and more powerful. It is a very well-designed starter, and as long as you get the real Nippondenso (later "Denso") unit and not the Chinese copycat junk, it is a very well-built and durable starter. Its only drawback is that your old Mopar will no longer sound like an old Mopar when you are cranking it -- decide for yourself if that's a dealbreaker. The one to get is from any '89-'01 RWD 3.9, 5.2, or 5.9 engine (M-body cars + trucks/vans). On the rare occasion they fail to crank, it's almost always fixed by replacing the solenoid contacts, which is an easy benchtop job. Sometimes the original hookup locations are inconvenient. There are multiple different connectors available, though, to solve that issue. See here for connection options and see here for solenoid contact info.

Any more questions about Chrysler starters…?
redbeard.gif

thanks Dan! do you know if i'll have clearance issues uninstalling and installing the stock starters motor with clifford headers on? what do i do?

thanks dan. does anyone know the procedure in order to take off and install my original starter motor with clifford headers? i just need to know the easiest way to clear the headers because i don't want to unbolt the transmission if i don't have to. thanks.

I'm not sure. I have a 6 to 1 header but had the starter on before I put the header on. I hope I don't have an issue with space. Not sure what would be easier, remove header/intake or the transmission.
Transmission- lift the car, remove drive shaft and all the trans stuff, support the trans and so on. All while you are on your back.
Header/intake- bent over the fender, remove pipe fight all the nuts under the carb, pull starter out.
I would think removing the header would be easier way to do it. But just my thinking. Anyone else think different???

yeah that's what i'm thinking also, but i am on the fence because i know either way it will be a job just to swap it out. lol. thanks.. anyone else have any suggestions?

There must be some boneyard up there that has the Denso starter, best thing you can do for a mopar motor, especially a six. Smaller, more power and easier to procure locally.

denso starter huh? how much do they run $$$?

Call a junkyard and ask them how much for a starter from an 88-91 Ram truck or van. Down here at the pull-a-part they are about $20 with a warranty.

Per Dan's repeated assertions the remanufactured units seem to be pretty bad, so wouldn't go that route.

Something Dan did leave off is that from the early 60's through the Denso units, starter speed gradually went up, most likely to mask engines that didn't like to start well when hot.

This my own 318 with a 2095150 starter:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwExCHa5mI4&feature=channel_video_title"]Car issues video outtakes - YouTube[/ame]

And an '87 318 with likely the original starter:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOSHyqIqCFM"]1987 chrysler 5th ave hole in muffler... DAMNITTT - YouTube[/ame]

quite a difference, though the '87 is not a denso starter.

Call a junkyard and ask them how much for a starter from an 88-91 Ram truck or van. Down here at the pull-a-part they are about $20 with a warranty.

Per Dan's repeated assertions the remanufactured units seem to be pretty bad, so wouldn't go that route.

Something Dan did leave off is that from the early 60's through the Denso units, starter speed gradually went up, most likely to mask engines that didn't like to start well when hot.

This my own 318 with a 2095150 starter:

Car issues video outtakes - YouTube

And an '87 318 with likely the original starter:

1987 chrysler 5th ave hole in muffler... DAMNITTT - YouTube

quite a difference, though the '87 is not a denso starter.

yupp, 89 was the only one (in RWD cars) to have a mini starter

-
Back