Starter Problems

-

MidTexCuda

Ancient Member
Reaction score
Ok I need help.
Started the motor last week with no problems. Today went to stat again and the solinod will fire but the stater gear seem to get getting stuck in the coverter gear and wont spin. It gets stuck about halfway through the starters extention.

What I do have. Plenty of power, no chipped teeth, and the starter spun on the bench but was not load tested.
The starter is a Powermaster and the motor is a 500ci 13to1.
Any Ideas?
There seems to be no ajustment. I even tried to shim the starter (didn't work)
The coverter gear is clean (all of it)
The teeth on the starter look huge on the ring gear. (is that right)

Any Ideas?

Sounds like it's not engaging or retracting the drive strong enough. Just to make sure with everything being I'm guessing newly installed. Double check to make sure the ground to the motor and such is good. It might have enough for it to start to engage but not enough for the high amp load.

The engine hasn't locked up sitting there has it? Maybe a head gasket leaked down and hydro locked it. Make sure you can turn it by hand (meaning with a breaker bar of course since it's a 13 to 1 engine).

If you haven't already check your positive cable all the way back to the battery and pull and clean the battery cable connection. You're trying to draw max amps from the battery so all the connection must be good.

All of my power lines and fittings are good. I have added ground straps but still no go. The motor turns and I have gone around twice to make sure the verter was not welded on the flex plate gear wrong. Gear rotates true motor spin well.

-
Back