Starter too close to headers?

-

RDJ

Reaction score
My TTI headers touch my mini starter. Do others have this problem? Will my starter fry? Obviously the rubber cover on the bolts will melt if I don't remove them. What have you done to fix this?

StartTti1.jpg

StartTti2.jpg

StartTti3.jpg

StartTti4.jpg

Yep mine was pretty damn close too. You have to reroute the lug on the stud so that it is facing down and you will have to do away with the rubber insulator and use insulating tape instead.

Yep mine was pretty damn close too. You have to reroute the lug on the stud so that it is facing down and you will have to do away with the rubber insulator and use insulating tape instead.

Sorry to seem dense, but I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

You will have to push back the blue rubber boot , loosen the nut, and reposition the shunt away from the header. Retighten the nut in that position. The rubber boot likely won't fit back on the stud, therefore, you might have to wrap insulating tape around it (if it's touching anywhere). I like the other suggestion about a starter shield as well, as the starter although built to withstand high temperature ,likely won't last long in that close proximity with the header. I need to get one as well. Summit has them for 17.95 but they want 27.00 for shipping to my location (I DON"T THINK SO.)

Bill

I wrapped my starter with some silicone coated insulation that you use to protect braided line. I got it from a shop that makes up braided lines. It was probally 3" in diameter so I slit it apart and wrapped the starter and I think that it's held together with bailing wire.

Thanks, looks like I have some work to do. I have some other stuff I need to order from Summit, and their main warehouse in Reno, NV is right over the mountains from me. It only takes one or two days when they ship to me.

I was wondering, is my starter in weird position compared to most of you others? Do some of you have no starter clearance issues? Obviously some have the same problem, but it seems like everybody would have the same issue? As far as I know, everything is in a "normal" position. The block and trans came from a truck, would that make any difference?

Thanks again!

BTW, the starter did go in easy, it just touches when bolted in.

Is that a Mopar mini-starter??..they come with extensions on the studs to keep the cables away from the headers,mine come no where near the header tubes..

Is that a Mopar mini-starter??..they come with extensions on the studs to keep the cables away from the headers,mine come no where near the header tubes..

It is a Chrysler Denso starter off of an 89 Dakota (PickNPull). I have three, two off of Dakotas, and one off of a van. They all look the same.

The connections for the battery cable are on top and shouldn't be a problem. I haven't connected them yet. I'm thinking that I should route them around behind the headers along the firewall and forward to the connections.

-
Back