starter won't disengage

-

avarageerod

Reaction score
went to start the barracuda today to move it to the barn. hooked battery cable up, turned key and let it turn over to prime the carb, turned key to off and it stayed engaged. I unhooked the starter wire from the solinoid and it still does it. do I need a new starter? I really haven't worked on it yet, just fishing (get it, Barracuda...ok, it just funny to me) for any suggestions. 440/727 if it matters.

I had mine at the muffler shop. They went to put it on the hoist and it stuck on.

Insulation on the batt cables was pretty soft by the time they got em off the battery.

I got a new starter, but still have the old muffler...

A starter relay can stick in the closed position. The leads at the starter could be touching together also. Good luck

Just to clarify, the relay is on the firewall (or maybe the fender) & the solenoid is on the starter. IIRC, once the solenoid is engaged, if it sticks then the starter will keep running until the wire is disconnected either at the solenoid or at the battery. Which wire did you disconnect?

A starter relay can stick in the closed position. The leads at the starter could be touching together also. Good luck

guess what I found. I took the starter out and bench tested it. Worked fine. After closer inspection of the wires at the starter I found that they were touching. Put it back together and it works now. :cheers: free fix!!!

BTW, that is the heaviest starter I've worked on. Diesal tractor starters aren't that heavy.

-
Back