Starter

-

crashcaptn

1965 Dodge Dart GT
Reaction score
I think my starter is going out on my 273. When i turn the key, it sometimes sounds like it drops the engine and i have to wait till it finishes unwinding, then go turn the key again (otherwise it sounds like i'm grinding gears).. this happens a few times and then the engine starts. It's REALLY noisy too.. Anything i should know before starting the new weekend mini project?

If it were me, I'd get one of the new smaller motor, higher torque starters and do a direct replacement. Otherwise, if you plan to rebuild, its a pretty easy project.

sounds like the starter has had it .....but i would check the ring gear...didnt say if it is auto or man anyway look in the starter hole at the teeth on the flywheel or torque convertor to see if they are ground down or chiped off....your going to need to turn the motor over with a wrinch and look at all the teeth....hope this helps..............good luck

Until you're able to get to the project, carry a little hammer around with you and tap the starter housing lightly. It will usually free it up. Those awful noises you hear are the flywheel teeth grinding against the starter bendix when it engages, and repeated grinding won't do either of the parts any good. I'm with Max on the mini starter suggestion; the small size makes all future work on the car easier (especially if you have headers).

Mini Starter !

Go to the junk yard,look under any,yes any late model Chrysler and look for the precious little mini starter. Yes it will bolt right in. Last one cost me $10.00.

Use your old one for a boat anchor..........

so the mini starter is a higher torque version? If i snag one from the junkyard, any good way to find out if its any good?

my usual rule of thumb is i look for a pretty smashed car if i want a good running engine part.. cause usually the car was running when it was hit.. BUT.. yeah..

all you guys/gals have great advice, i'll check it all. Thanks as usual

Sounds like a crappy stock mopar starter. You can tell when a mopar is starting even if you can't see it.

so the mini starter is a higher torque version? If i snag one from the junkyard, any good way to find out if its any good?

my usual rule of thumb is i look for a pretty smashed car if i want a good running engine part.. cause usually the car was running when it was hit.. BUT.. yeah..

all you guys/gals have great advice, i'll check it all. Thanks as usual

High torque ? Yes,will crank a motor like you never seen.
Testing......Should be able to spin it with a battery and 2 leads.
Most junkyards have a return policy. Look for the cleanist one.

Sounds like a crappy stock mopar starter. You can tell when a mopar is starting even if you can't see it.

JR - soo true. What i can hear a lot are the honda starters.. and those Chrysler sebring/sebring convertibles/minivans and so on from like, late 90’s.. their noisy abs pumps when they stop.. I notice those the most.

okay, so went i went to the junkyard i found a BRAND NEW one on a car.. absolutely amazing. Installed it this morning.. crazy how different it sounds and how fast it starts my car. just thought i'd post a picture of the new one vs.the old one..

SP_A0882.jpg

SP_A0886.jpg

The old one has its chrysler pentastar still on it. I think it might be the original part for the car..

Congrats Crash! Welcome to the Wonderful World of Mini Starters!!! Just wait til you install -- or have to work around -- your headers ... you won't know how you lived this long without one.

Thank youu - i've driven it all day.. the difference is astounding. I had to post those pictures for those as ignorant as i about the difference.. a MUST do in the mopar world. =)

Well there you go..........8)

Lot of the purists freak out on them, but oh-well. They work awesome !

Glad it worked out for you.

Well there you go..........8)

Lot of the purists freak out on them, but oh-well. They work awesome !

Glad it worked out for you.

I wondered about that purest stuff! I could care less about purest stuff anyway, and its hidden so much, who really really really would give 2 *****? ... but i want it to look stock, and like leela said, when i up the exhaust i'll be happy i have it there.. and, no joke, i lost about 10LBS of weight on the front end! (sounds really cool when it starts too)

:toothy10:

The sound of the original starter is what the purist talk about.

Although in a lot of ways I am a purist, I have a mini starter in all my cars.

Do those mini-starters just spin a lot quicker than the old starters? I do love the unique sound of the old Chrysler starters, but they crank the engine kind of slowly and they drain a lot of juice from the battery if they have to be cranked more than a minute overall.

yah it cranks it really fast in comparison. starts really fast now too, and you're right, The old one turns the engine really slow, takes a lot of juice..

With the sound.. i can see where purists would say they want the original... i'm more than okay with the mini however.

-
Back