starting a 451/ 727 Duster project

-

MoparsB4me

Reaction score
Hey guys:

New to the board (posting that is), but have been snoopin' around :read2: !!

I am looking for advice from those who have done it before - things that worked, things that didn't, things you'd do different, things you could do better...you get the idea - to save me from some of the headaches of building (I did say some of the...I do expect some headaches of my own).

So here is what I have got:

Motor assy ready to go!!
400 block (.030 over valve notched flat top pistons)
balanced rotating assy (stock rods)
stock ported 452 heads - 2.14/1.81 valves
Mopar Performance 1.6 roller rocker assy
Mopar Performance .590 cam/ springs (guessing around .625 lift)
M1 Intake
950 Holley from Diamondback Engines w/ 1" ported spacer
8qt pan and 1/2" pick up tube
will have elephant ears and mid plate - no motor mounts
K-frame will get motor mounts shaved and reinforced

(The motor has been sitting around for a few years. Was going in my '69 Super BEE until it got sold :angry7: due to hard times!!)

Trans
future works to be done

Car
1973 Plymouth Duster - completely stripped down
10 of the 12 point roll cage installed
custom 2 x 3 tube frame rail connectors welded in

Rear End
A-body 8 3/4 with welded stiffner
Moser axles with green bearings
4.30 Richmond spooled gear set
Wilwood rear drag brakes
complete Caltracs set up with their shock suggestions

Front end
Mopar Performance .810 racing torsion bars
Mancini Racing tubular upper and lower control arms
90/10 shocks (from Caltracs)
Wilwood front brakes

Where I am at now:
I started this as a 2year project, but finances have put me behind on that schedule (can anybody relate to that??). Duster was bought during my BEE project workings as a deal too good to pass up and sat around. Now it is getting all the attention.

Just got all the suspensions parts in hand and am trying to clean up the undercarriage before I put on the new parts to get me back to a rolling chassis.

I have a big ol' list on the wall of the garage of things to do and things needed to buy to get me to the strip.

Again, would love to hear thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc...to help me along. I have been out of hot rodding for some time and trying to relearn what I used to know. Your experiences could BEE instrumental in aiding me to fulfill my dream.

No thought, idea, or suggestion is too small or dumb/ stupid - granted, knowledge can only BEE gained by passing along our experiences to others.

I want to thank you guys ahead of time, because I know just from the time I have been snooping in the background that you guys are going to come through for and with me to make this happen.

Pix would would be nice of things to do right or the way not to do it!! That can benefit me as well as others that read this post. I will try to keep updating the thread as I progress, but am not rushing to get it done - I want it done right the first time!!! :-D Only a ton of $$ can speed this project along!!

THANKS AGAIN!!

MoparsB4me (aka David)

CHRIST first!!
Mopars second!!!

i'm not real sure but the convertor may need to be made special for the midplate but i don't think you'll need a midplate, just a poly trans mount. price out in the chassis headers for a better looking hotrod. everything else looks like it's going to rock.

-
Back