starting issue

-

spudsterier

Reaction score
i tried to start my 68 valiant the other day and was having a few issues so if anyone has any answers for me then that would be great...
a little backround,
68 valiant with a 360
new mopar perf. electronic distributor and orange box
new crane fireball coil
new plugs and wires
new optimus red top battery (also tried other batteries)

1st:
the coil was getting really hot...like, had to hold it with a welding glove hot....i dont know if its supposed to be that way or not.

2nd:
the car wasnt starting. i removed a spark plug and noticed that while cranking the engine over, the plugs were only sparking once about every 5 seconds....very very slowly, i checked the distributor and its also turning really really slowly. the car wouldnt even fire on starting fluid

3rd:
after messing with the car for a total of about 6 hours, i actually got it to stay running 2 times. and when it did start, it sounded and ran great. but most of the time the car wont even attempt to start, just turn over.

4th:
the car will not turn over with the ignition switch. you have to jump the selonoid with a screwdriver

this is my first carburated, V8, old car project in a long time.

well i found out that the reason it wasnt starting with the ignition switch is because i didnt have the park/neutral switch hooked up.

also, any batteries i try to use act like they are almost dead....the motor will turn over and then start slowing down and eventually stop turning all together...even with a jump starter hooked up.....so i dont know what this issue is

also, now it has been starting to back fire through the exhaust while it tries to turn over...

first thing I would try is a new fatter negative cable
from the battery to the engine block.

The factory neg cable on Mopars was too small;
for the last 40+ years.

didnt seem to make a difference....

also, the ballast resistor gets really really hot along with the coil

-
Back