Starting on a 1974 Plymouth Duster

-

lordolunch

Reaction score
Going for the cheapest, but best looking restoration I can get with this 1974 Plymouth Duster. The end goal is plum crazy on the exterior, and white/black interior. The instrument cluster is where I'm starting, and I'm replacing it with one out of my brother's high school Duster. Super excited to share the progress with all of you!

IMG_5142.jpg

IMG_5146.jpg

IMG_5139.jpg

IMG_5132.jpg

man, i think purple wont look anywhere near as good on that is it does now
i would cut and polish it and call it good (doesnt look like theres a ton of rust that needs to be adressed)
but, your car your dime

great starting point

full engine tear down and rebuild? if you're doing the dash first and the engine is going to sit for any length of time, put the plugs back in. why the cluster swap? is the cluster the same just in better shape? what's the budget/plan? I see lots of Mopar yard art :thumbsup:. oh, and welcome!!

man, i think purple wont look anywhere near as good on that is it does now
i would cut and polish it and call it good (doesnt look like theres a ton of rust that needs to be adressed)
but, your car your dime

great starting point
It's funny man, I do really like the purple that's on there. I believe the guy before me did it with rattle cans, and it turned out pretty impressive. Reminds me of the new Hell Raisin color Dodge does. Plum crazy is just my absolute favorite color.....we'll see how I feel once I actually make some progress lol The lack of rust on the body is incredible.

full engine tear down and rebuild? if you're doing the dash first and the engine is going to sit for any length of time, put the plugs back in. why the cluster swap? is the cluster the same just in better shape? what's the budget/plan? I see lots of Mopar yard art :thumbsup:. oh, and welcome!!
My brother is actually doing that full teardown and rebuild of the 360 that's pictured. He's the motor master, for sure. I can do most maintenance, but have nowhere near the skills needed for that yet. lol I'm hoping to learn the art of rebuilding carbs on this project. I'm changing the cluster because it'll have a good story to it. I like cars with a story to them. lol That cluster was my out of my brother's high school car. Right now I'm refinishing it, and then it'll replace the one in it now.

funny, i had to look twice before i recognized that color as purple...honestly i thought it was a dark brown

personally, i like the non showy paints on muscle cars (if i understand a muscle car properly, it is a car with ZERO options, other then big engine and heavy duty drivetrain, so to pay extra for a high impact color doesnt fit)

either way, great starting point

funny, i had to look twice before i recognized that color as purple...honestly i thought it was a dark brown

personally, i like the non showy paints on muscle cars (if i understand a muscle car properly, it is a car with ZERO options, other then big engine and heavy duty drivetrain, so to pay extra for a high impact color doesnt fit)

either way, great starting point
so a 700+HP 2020 mango orange Challenger R/T Scat Pack would not be a muscle car to you?
1U%25jzbTllxA0otipdCQFmwF3kpd2L6BoM&&pov=summaryhero&width=1450&height=543&bkgrnd=&resp=jpg&cut=.jpg

so a 700+HP 2020 mango orange Challenger R/T Scat Pack would not be a muscle car to you?
View attachment 1715602651
well, lets see, a 2020 challenger, BASE model MSRP is $28095
the R/T scat pack is $38995
that is a 42% price increase

that alone would make it a resounding NO

but lets look at some of the bare minimum options
that scat pack comes with:

• Alarm
  • Back-Up Camera
  • Cruise Control
  • Vehicle Anti-Theft System
  • Fog Lamps
  • Auto-Off Headlights
  • Keyless Start
  • Rear Parking Aid
  • Steering Wheel Controls
  • Trip Computer
  • Universal Garage Door Opener
  • Keyless Entry
  • Power Door Locks
  • Electrochromic rearview mirror
  • Driver Vanity Mirror
  • Driver Illuminated Vanity Mirror
  • Passenger Vanity Mirror
  • Passenger Illuminated Visor Mirror

so, that makes it a heck NO

(now i understand a lot of those options are gobment mandated safety issues, but still)

-
Back