starting on my 383 barracuda

-

oldmopardude

Reaction score
Hey there everyone,
I have owned this barracuda for seven years, and am finally rebuilding the engine to get the car on the street.
I have a great deal of history on the car, but it still puzzles me.
The car is rust free, straight, no dents,and 70k actual. The part that is puzzling is that it is a A53 Formula S with the 383, but came from the factory with the hood scoops, hood decals, callouts, and painted below the beltline. The options are clearly original, as the car is completely Intact. the fender tag does show the V78 accent delete, that implies the A56 was Installed.
it is not a huge deal at all, just a curiosity.The car comes with the four speed, AM/FM, factory tach, A86 decor group. The car has been off the road for many years, and has not been tampered with. The previous owner was in posession for 20+, and then some. I do know the car was special order by a Navy seaman in 1968 and picked up in Norfolk after he was discharged.. I am looking for the build sheet to see if more was done then the fender tag. The thing I like the best is the scheduled.Build date was 1 August 1968. the first day any Barracuda was made for 1969.so the VIN is 1000 and low four digits.

Anyone seen similar scenario?

Hey there everyone,
I have owned this barracuda for seven years, and am finally rebuilding the engine to get the car on the street.
I have a great deal of history on the car, but it still puzzles me.
The car is rust free, straight, no dents,and 70k actual. The part that is puzzling is that it is a A53 Formula S with the 383, but came from the factory with the hood scoops, hood decals, callouts, and painted below the beltline. The options are clearly original, as the car is completely Intact. the fender tag does show the V78 accent delete, that implies the A56 was Installed.
it is not a huge deal at all, just a curiosity.The car comes with the four speed, AM/FM, factory tach, A86 decor group. The car has been off the road for many years, and has not been tampered with. The previous owner was in posession for 20+, and then some. I do know the car was special order by a Navy seaman in 1968 and picked up in Norfolk after he was discharged.. I am looking for the build sheet to see if more was done then the fender tag. The thing I like the best is the scheduled.Build date was 1 August 1968. the first day any Barracuda was made for 1969.so the VIN is 1000 and low four digits.

Anyone seen similar scenario?

Odd for sure as Cuda’ did not come out to near mid production year! More to learn here for sure!

Odd for sure as Cuda’ did not come out to near mid production year! More to learn here for sure!
I was told the car was special ordered while he was overseas. The Interior has never been apart, so maybe there is a builder sheet somewhere.
about when did the Cuda option become available?

A53 with V78 is pretty common! formula “S” stripe delete. Just gets the 383S fender badges. It does not imply A57 though.

what tail panel is there? Black with S badge or Argent with fish logo?

Last edited:
A53 with V78 is pretty common! formula “S” stripe delete. Just gets the 383S fender badges. It does not imply A56 though.

what tail panel is there? Black with S badge or Argent with fish logo?
I will look at it and see, the 383 call out is on the fender half way down to the rocker.
I remember seeing a fish,the 383 is a decal, not an emblem.I am happy there are barracuda experts here,as I deal primarily in Darts.
I will post some pictures soon.The paint on the hood and bottom half are like the 69 GTX.

Based on build date it is an A53 “S”. Much like mine but mine has the V6W sport stripe and no fender badges for 383S as it is in the stripe. V78 or V7X got fender badges and either no stripe at all, or a thin longitude stripe. V78 no stripe V7X thin stripe X denotes color. Cuda’ cars did not get the fender badges either as the call out was on the rear front fender decals. Cuda’ has fish emblems on the front fender below the Barracuda script and the tail panel.

I am pretty sure the mount holes for 383s badge and fish logo are not the same on the front fenders but may be wrong.

I am guessing Sometime in its life it has been modded to Cuda’ stripes and hood.

Do you have some pics to post?

Last edited:
Based on build date it is an A53 “S”. Much like mine but mine has the V6W sport stripe and no fender badges for 383S as it is in the stripe. V78 got fender badges and either no stripe at all, or a thin longitude stripe. Cuda’ cars did not get the fender badges either as the call out was in the lower stripe and rear front fender decals. Cuda’ has fish emblems on the front fender below the Barracuda script and the tail panel.

I am guessing Sometime in its life it has been modded to Cuda’ stripes and hood.

Do you have some pics to post?
I will definitely do that, by looking at the car it appears totally original. But always leave a margin of error I say!

A56 was a 69 only option I believe for 'Cuda pkg. A53 for 69 was Formula S. You got one, the other or neither. You couldnt mix them to the best of my knowledge.
Cool car! Pics when u can

A56 was a 69 only option I believe for 'Cuda pkg. A53 for 69 was Formula S. You got one, the other or neither. You couldnt mix them to the best of my knowledge.
This applies to 69 only. A57 is the code for ‘cuda 383 with E63 showing for the engine code. A57 and E63 were also coded for the 440 ‘cuda except that the M in the Vin made it the 440.

Sounds interesting. Please include a picture of the fender tag. This will tell the story. If 801 scheduled production date it would be difficult to be special ordered, though nothing is impossible in the Mopar world. These are the first cars produced on there way to dealers for September launch of the new model year.

Pictures of the car and fender tag would really be helpful. Look under the carpets and seats for the build sheet.

A friend of mine has a 69 340S with just the scoops and hood stripes. It's not a 'cuda package car. He insists the car came that way but I'm skeptical. I have a picture of his fender tag but I'll have to dig it out. His car was built the same day as my A56, June 13, 1969.

Your car is pretty well optioned. It was common back in the day to load up early production cars and get them to dealers ASAP to showcase on their showrooms. I'm betting it's red. The fender tag will also show if it was special ordered or a sales bank car. He may have ordered a 383 Barracuda and that's what they found for him. I doubt he sat down and ordered it line by line.

I'm guessing yours is a 340S and the 'cuda graphics were added later.

Last edited:
no A57 on tag, but has every option of formula S and Cuda. Power steering, power disc brakes, rally dash, tach, AM/FM radio, A86 deco group, and the scoops with the decals where they need to be. the Decals clearly are the same age as the original paint that is on the car.

3:23 limited slip rear.It has been in storage since 1981,,,,,My friend knows the car well, and said it definitely was in Norfolk in 1969, and the navy seaman who bought it drove back to Omaha. The car has been in Nebraska since 1969.
I believe the previous member is correct that being such an early build the car was assembled with all the options prior to the official release of the Cuda Pkg.
The car also had 15x8 chromies on it back in the day, and I still have those here.
It is Interesting that my 69 dart and Coronet have the differential Info on the data plate, but this car has no reference to what rear end is in it.

Are your lower stripes painted on or are they a tape stripe? My cuda was original paint before I restored it and it had the tape stripe and only the front and rear valences were painted black.

no A57 on tag, but has every option of formula S and Cuda. Power steering, power disc brakes, rally dash, tach, AM/FM radio, A86 deco group, and the scoops with the decals where they need to be. the Decals clearly are the same age as the original paint that is on the car.

3:23 limited slip rear.It has been in storage since 1981,,,,,My friend knows the car well, and said it definitely was in Norfolk in 1969, and the navy seaman who bought it drove back to Omaha. The car has been in Nebraska since 1969.
I believe the previous member is correct that being such an early build the car was assembled with all the options prior to the official release of the Cuda Pkg.
The car also had 15x8 chromies on it back in the day, and I still have those here.
It is Interesting that my 69 dart and Coronet have the differential Info on the data plate, but this car has no reference to what rear end is in it.

We need some Pics!

Like said A53 Formula S. Never saw both A53 and A57. Build date is key I think.

This car has a story to tell if you let it! You have our Attention!

Yes and A56 is Cuda' 340!

-
Back