Starting system wiring

-

Docmcg

Reaction score
I’m at the point of wiring up the /6 in my A100, and I’ve hit a a wall. I can’t seem to figure out how to wire up the starting system. There’s the battery , the starter, the coil, the ignition switch, and a resister, and on and on. I’ve not been able to find a schematic of it all, and it’s got me stumped. Can anyone help me out with maybe a hand drawn picture of how this all goes together? I’ve got a new Mopar electronic distributor with a four pin ECU from Rick Ehrenberg. Can someone help me please? Thanks, Steve.

First thing you need to do is figure if your ignition switch works like the modern A bodies. This is part of the key to the whole thing, as GM and Ford both used a resistor bypass circuit using the (Ford) fender mount solenoid, or (GM) the starter mount solenoid.

Chrysler did this different, here is the "deal."

The modern Mopar ign. switch has main power "always hot" into it.
Outputs are:

ACC---hot in "run" position or "accessory" position.

IGN1--the "run" terminal, hot ONLY in "run" position, DEAD in start!! THIS is what feeds alternator field (on 70/ later), The VR, the ignition system, electric chokce if used. It is the ONLY switched 12V in the engine bay

START: This is hot only in the start position, and feeds to the starter relay to activate it and then the relay activates the starter solenoid. It is also part of the neutral start circuit. The second small terminal of the start relay needs to be grounded, and that goes down to the center terminal on the neutral/ reverse light switch on the automatic. On stick cars 70/ later, it goes to the clutch safety switch

69/ earlier stick shift cars, that terminal was grounded, and not used as such,

NOW the ign resistor bypass, IGN2. This terminal, like the START terminal, is only hot in "start" BUT IS A separate circuit. IT goes to the coil + side of the ballast resistor (same for points or Mopar ECU) and is the ONLY source of power during starting. REMEMBER I noted above, that the "run" line goes DEAD in "start."

You should consider NOT feeding loads directly off an old ignition switch "run" terminal, but, rather, using that terminal to trigger a Bosch style relay, and feeding the loads off that

Last edited:
I’m at the point of wiring up the /6 in my A100, and I’ve hit a a wall. I can’t seem to figure out how to wire up the starting system. There’s the battery , the starter, the coil, the ignition switch, and a resister, and on and on. I’ve not been able to find a schematic of it all, and it’s got me stumped. Can anyone help me out with maybe a hand drawn picture of how this all goes together? I’ve got a new Mopar electronic distributor with a four pin ECU from Rick Ehrenberg. Can someone help me please? Thanks, Steve.
Starter relay, brown wire from ign.sw. should go to relay & coil-side of ballast resistor...

ignition_system_4pin-jpg.jpg
URL][img]
This a morphed diagram and DOES NOT show the bypass wire. Wire at top right labeled "existing wire" is your "run" from the key, IGN1

The IGN2 bypass wire goes from the key to the coil + side of the ballast AKA the bottom of the ballast in this photo. Once again, this would be the same for either points or ECU

Starter relay. Get one that is application for your rig, and if you have an automatic, get an automatic. Other than mounting bracket, they are pretty much same up into '70's

The big stud goes to battery and is used as a junction point, but it internally connects to on relay contact.

The big "square screw" needs a no12 or better no10 from it to the starter solenoid

Either of the small push on "flag" terminals goes to the "start" terminal of the key. The remaining one, if auto, goes to the center term of the neutral switch.

If you have a stick, either ground the remaining flag terminal, or if you got a "stick" relay for 69/ earlier, that one will be grounded to the relay case. In that instance the relay case MUST be grounded.

Last edited:
Okay guys appreciate the attempts, however being as dense as I am, I think I need more clarification. I want to attach a schematic that I’ve started, and maybe someone can fill in the blanks. As can be seen I‘m using a four pin ECU, a 2 pin ballast, and a one wire starter. Also I have drawn in some “connections” that I believe to be correct. I’d like to ask for some help with the missing connections. All the different components have been correctly drawn as far as the individual terminals go ie 6 terminals on the ignition switch, 4 terminals on the starter relay, and as stated earlier, a 1 wire alternator w/internal regulator. I am also replacing the ammeter with a volt gauge. Just FYI, this is for my slant six ‘65 DODGE A100.

IMG_2543.jpeg

1.........ECU is wrong in at least two ways. A--ballast wiring wrong. B....Connector is drawn poorly and impossible to tell if wiring to ECU is correctly represented

(Keep in mind that ballast wiring is exactly the same for either breaker points or ECU)

Here is fair representation of ECU wiring EXCEPT FOR !!!!

Wire at top right marked "start" IS WRONG!!! This wire goes to IGN2 on the ignition switch. The "S" and the IGN2 work the same except they are SEPARATE switch contacts in the ignition switch, to prevent backfeed in those two circuits!!!!

The wire at bottom right marked "run" goes to IGN1 on your ign switch

ar-electronic-ignition-wiring-diagram-gooddy-2-jpg.jpg

2....Terminal marked IGN on start relay goes one place only--to the S terminal on the ignition switch

3....Starter to relay to battery was that way on some vehicles but is inferior. It is better to run a big cable direct from battery to starter, and some sort of branch cable to the starter relay, which can be smaller IE no4 or maybe no6. You can run that back from the starter to the relay EG

4...Since you show a volt gage and not ammeter, you can run the "one wire" direct to battery with an oversize wire, DEPENDING on alternator output. If it is 100A or so, I'd use no4 wire. ONe wire alternators MUST have larger wire than with an exciter / sensing wire/ external VR because the only cable IS THE sensing wire

Last edited:
-
Back