Starting trouble

-

hippy 60

Reaction score
I have a 63 Plymouth Valiant which i switch over from a \6 to a v\8 and been trying to start it and all it does when i try to start it with the switch all it does is click but i can cross it over on the relay and it will start,Everything is brand new all but the ignition switch does anyone have any idea what it might be.Thanks for any help..

I’d double check your negative battery cable ground location on your car my 65 Dart did that. Also check the wire coming from ignition switch to starter relay. Dustin

Last edited:
I’d double check your negative battery cable ground location on your car my 65 Dart did that. Also check the wire coming from ignition switch to starter relay. Dustin
All the cables are new i have it grounded to the motor plus the car and which wire do i need to check it has ing.1 and ing.2 on the switch ,What do you find on your's.Thanks

All the cables are new i have it grounded to the motor plus the car and which wire do i need to check it has ing.1 and ing.2 on the switch ,What do you find on your's.Thanks
On mine the issue was I used my iron intake for a ground and when I switched to an aluminum intake I used the same bolt for ground. I now ground to waterpump. Goto mymopar.com under service manuals they have all the wiring guides you’ll ever need.

Neg cable should bolt to front of drivers head. Also ground strap from rear of passenger head to fire wall.

I don't know about a 63, but i had a 71 duster 318, that done the same, it was my Neutral safety switch, if you have a relay and know the contact that goes to nss, put a wire under the a bolt on motor and a connector on end of wire and put it on relay where nss is, if its a bad switch, be careful , when relay has ground attached ,it will start in any gear as well as park and neutral

I don't know about a 63, but i had a 71 duster 318, that done the same, it was my Neutral safety switch, if you have a relay and know the contact that goes to nss, put a wire under the a bolt on motor and a connector on end of wire and put it on relay where nss is, if its a bad switch, be careful , when relay has ground attached ,it will start in any gear as well as park and neutral
What color is the wire that goes to the relay i had 2 wire one was a pink looking and the other was black or dark blue and i just guessed on where they went could i have the wrong one plug to the relay i plug the other one to the horn relay.

On my 65 Dart the top right black wire comes off ignition switch.
31D80595-76E9-4BB1-9248-31FB1B41FCC5.jpeg

-
Back