Stealth Duster Stereo Install

-

mitch340Duster

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not the first to do this but I thought it might be worth sharing. Some guys will disagree with this since I'm striving to keep everything on the car correct, but ya gotta have tunes, and the factory AM radio aint enough.

So, I ordered a repro shelf panel, but one for a car with rear speakers. Mounted the amp between back seat and trunk. With a smaller amp you might not even be able to see it from the trunk, but I had this amp "in-stock".

Installed a pair of Alpine SPR-69 speakers. They fit perfectly in the factory 6x9 cutouts.

Running the power, amp remote, and audio cables from amp to dash hidden along with the body wiring harness. AM radio stays in the dash, music is provided courtesy of an ipod in a location TBD after the interior is together.

Best of all...My buddies and I have been fiddling with car stereos since the 70's. I've had bi-amp, tri-amp, multiple speakers systems, SW's, etc but this setup is by-far the best I've ever had. Perfect example of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). Only mods were 2 small holes to mount the amp, along with double-sided tape, and I had to enlarge the screw holes only for the speakers to accept M6 screws.

Attachments

• stereo1.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 328
  • stereo2.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 313
  • stereo3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 315
  • stereo4.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 311
Nice bro !
I think that is the ticket for tunes. Amp & a Ipod.

looks sharp. Are you going to still put the back seat in place? if you are do you have any concerns about the heat generated by the amp?
on the upside the install is about as clean as it gets.

Thanks guys....
I'm not worried about the heat but thanks for bringing it up. The amp is open to the trunk. Yes, the back seat is going back in. On that note, When I was a kid back in 1980 or so, I removed the back seat in my '73 Dart Sport, installed 6 speakers on the back panel, carpeted it and trimmed it out real nice. It was a Huge hit at car shows. Sometimes I think I was the first person to do this and that I should still get a ten cent royalty from everyone who's done it since.

-
Back