Steelie Advice

-

Albert19

Reaction score
I'm considering restoring my stock steel wheels and need some advice. Can these wheels be powder coated and should I do that or just paint them? If I get them powder coated can I get the stock Y2 (Sunfire Yellow) color? Should the back of the wheels be painted (powder coated) Y2 or just black? Your advice on this forum is greatly appreciated and helpful.

Dennis

Here is what I did. I went to an auto paint supply store, and had the paint on my car scanned above the wheel opening. Any good store will have a special camera for this.

From this scan, they can develop a mixing formula. My paint is 40 years old so mixing to the factory formula just wouldn't have looked right.

Next, I fully prepped the wheels and painted with base and clear.

I painted with 2 colors, black and yellow. After primed, I masked off the face and painted everything black. The in I unmasked the face and masked the outside diameter. Next I shot the yellow and allowed overspray to go through the lug nut holes. This gave me a black wheel with a yellow face and some yellow overspray to the back side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 152
I love this color. I am redoing my 67 notch in daffodil yellow, with body color painted steelies. Its so understated, perfect for my sleeper 67.

-
Back