Steering adapter

-

Sublime69

Reaction score
I am switching from power to manual steering. What adapter do i need to use my power column?

I know about the Mancini one, is there anything else for les that $120!
Thanks

try e-bay.i have seen them for $40.00 at times.if you have a junk yard close to you try them.often they have a search thru several yards that may save you the time looking.or even on the net there is a sight that lists junk yards in each state with phone numbers or e-mail addresses.
terry

terry said:
try e-bay.i have seen them for $40.00 at times.if you have a junk yard close to you try them.often they have a search thru several yards that may save you the time looking.or even on the net there is a sight that lists junk yards in each state with phone numbers or e-mail addresses.
terry

Some cars came with a steering adapter?? what cars did they come on?

There's 2 different ones on the market and I am not sure who sells what type. 1 will adapt from a power column directly to a manual steering box. The other one will require a manual steering coupler be put on the power column and then adapt to the manual steering box. Manual and power steering boxes have different size input shafts. So one of the adaptors will make the job much easier than the other. ASK QUESTIONS before you buy. Good luck

don

Our friend and board member Mark Nixon shared some info on this awhile back.
Mark Nixon said:
Okay, I was keeping this to myself, but it's time the cat was let out of the bag on this steering coupler adaptor.

The ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT adaptor is found on 1978-1988(?) Dodge Vans WITH MANUAL STEERING ONLY. The reason the adaptor was made was to limit the later columns to ONE design of column (Tilt or Non-tilt, doesn't matter, they fit the same), so Ma' standardized the van columns, and used the adaptor to build the manual steer vans.

It is also interesting to note that the STOCK unit also employs the MANUAL pot coupler, rather than the Flaming River/Firm Feel pieces, which use the POWER pot coupler.
In short, it's the LATER vans that use these, not the earlier (pre-'78 ) ones.

Mark.
Thanks Mark. That helps us keep our old cars on the road. Hope this is what you are looking for.

-
Back