Steering box adjustment

-

Pentarockstar

Reaction score
Working on 69 340 swinger. Looking to take the slop out of my steering box. I am having trouble loosing the big castle lock nut that goes around the input shaft. I have tried the screw driver and hammer with no luck. Anybody have any idea how to loosen the dude?

upload_2022-4-17_18-9-32.jpeg

That large "castle nut" is not an adjustment- do not loosen! Adjustment is at the top of the cross-shaft, having a nut (9/16"?) and threaded shaft w/ a screwdriver slot in it for adjustment.

According to the FSM this how to adjust it. Loosen the cross-shaft adjustment until pitmen arm is loose. Loosen large castle nut, tighten shaft bearing nut, tighten large castle nut. Slowly tighten cross gear until pitman arm is tight again. Is this wrong?

See the steering box in this picture. See the top of the cross shaft and that hex nut and in the middle, a slot to make the adjustment.
100_2842.JPG

According to the FSM this how to adjust it. Loosen the cross-shaft adjustment until pitmen arm is loose. Loosen large castle nut, tighten shaft bearing nut, tighten large castle nut. Slowly tighten cross gear until pitman arm is tight again. Is this wrong?
No. Your interpretation is what is wrong. You are trying to loosen the wrong castle nut. See post #6.

I am often wrong, just ask my wife. So, all adjustments come from the cross shaft?
None from input shaft?

Yes, all the adjustment from that one slotted screw.

Remember: 2 skoshes too loose is better than 1 skosh too tight. If it's too tight it will track only where it is pointed and not move until you move the steering wheel.

Check this out at minute 4:00. I did this with the car jacked up without removing the center link. Important that the engine is running for proper adjustment. Mine feels loose with the engine off, but is just right with the engine running.

Cool video! Thanks for posting. Learn something new every day!

Challenge is getting in there without burning your hands and arms while the engine is running.

-
Back