Steering box issue

-

jmcap

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

New to the forum and eager for your assistance. My adult son is a Mopar man and I am his resident repair and restore assistant, consultant , mechanic, etc. Our present problem is with the newly replaced steering box (power) in his 73 Barracuda. It's remanufactured from Cardone. After installation purged the box of air and refilled the pump. I have not driven it but son says that under load on the road and at idle the car feels as if non power. Jacked it up, repurged, and when off the ground all is well.

The power plant is a new 5.7 hemi, so the pump is newer than 1973. Thought that would be an issue but there was no problem with the leaky former box. Any thoughts to trouble shoot would be deeply appreciated.

ps. My scraped knuckle training is from my four Oldsmobiles. Please don't hold that against me. :prayer:
John in NJ

crank it lock to lock several times and check fluid level, what pump are you using with the new hemi?

I'm just thinking out loud here, have you watched the pulley when turning the wheels while on the ground? Is it possible you got some grease or oil on the pulley and the belt is slipping on it.

Just a crazy thought.

was it in a car with rack and pinion or one with a chunk? I think the presser is different for a rack, may have to change the valve behind the presser hose.

Guys,
Thanks for your input. Have since learned from my son that the pump is not Mopar but something aftermarket or even GM. I'm thinking therefore that the problem is the pump and not the new box. Will get another and let you know.

-
Back