Steering Box removal and installation

-

The Furnace

Reaction score
I'm changing the power steering gearbox in my 1976 dodge dart sport power steering gearbox. I have the old one out but have run into a couple of problems. 1. does the pitman arm need to be pressed onto the steering box shaft? 2. Does the steering column need to be unbolted and pulled back to align the steering linkage? I was trying to make things better an I am wondering if I should have left it all alone. LOL

I was able to get the box in my slant duster without dropping the column, it was a fight though. There is a sleeve on the column that slides over the shaft of the gear box that you can slide back when you knock out the retaining pin in the sleeve. For the pitman arm I can't remember having to press it on, pretty sure I was able to get it started enough and just used the bolt to synch it up.

Thanks iy seems like if i just loosened the bolts to the steering column a 1/2 an inch i could just bolt the new steering box in and the slide the link on. I'm afraid i will damage the splines the way im going now. the link is spring loaded, you can push it back towards the firewall. I dont know why they didnt give ya a little more room, like I said even a 1/2 an inch it would go right on.

Thanks iy seems like if i just loosened the bolts to the steering column a 1/2 an inch i could just bolt the new steering box in and the slide the link on. I'm afraid i will damage the splines the way im going now. the link is spring loaded, you can push it back towards the firewall. I dont know why they didnt give ya a little more room, like I said even a 1/2 an inch it would go right on.

Agreed, if I did it again I would unbolt the column. Like your saying that 1/2 makes it much easier to work with.

drop the column. having a friend to help slide it back together is great. careful unplugging the wiring harness, don't want to bust the plug :banghead:

good luck

If its column shift you'll need to move the shifter to neutral before lowering the column.
you don't absolutely have to but,,, if you stretch and alter the linkage you may loose the neutral safety switch adjustment.

-
Back