Steering box swap

-

ratvon

Reaction score
I'm wanting to put a manual steering box from a 72 340 duster into my 68 barracuda that has power steering but the shaft on the manual box is bigger can i just get a coupler that fits and use the steering shaft from the 72 in my steering column?

Swap the 72 shaft to your 68 column, add the 72 manual steering box and The column will bolt up. I am not sure if the Pitman arms are the same - someone else will know for sure.

Swap the 72 shaft to your 68 column, add the 72 manual steering box and The column will bolt up. I am not sure if the Pitman arms are the same - someone else will know for sure.
All I have is the shaft no coupler the manual boxes must use a different coupler since the input shaft is bigger

Yes, they use a different coupler than one from PS since as you discovered, the diameter of the shaft on the manual box is somewhat larger. Another option is to use the PS to manual adapter - that way you can use your 68 column with the 72 box. I've seen them advertised now and then by members or if needed right away various vendors usually have them for sale - maybe someone like Firm Feel or Steer and Gear.

Yes, they use a different coupler than one from PS since as you discovered, the diameter of the shaft on the manual box is somewhat larger. Another option is to use the PS to manual adapter - that way you can use your 68 column with the 72 box. I've seen them advertised now and then by members or if needed right away various vendors usually have them for sale - maybe someone like Firm Feel or Steer and Gear.
Thank you

I had one I was going to rebuild using a 20 to 1 steering sector but sold the box to a local guy who needed it more than I needed to rebuild it. Still have the sector though.

Where's i
I had one I was going to rebuild using a 20 to 1 steering sector but sold the box to a local guy who needed it more than I needed to rebuild it. Still have the sector though.
where is it from and how much you want for it

-
Back