Steering box - Which lubricant?

-

superdart

Shade Tree Tinker Gnome.....
Reaction score
OK, I just finished my whole front suspension rebuild, and it'll get aligned first thing in the morning. But I waited to check my fluid in my manual steering box because I figured it had to be in the installed angle to determine anything.

The factory manual says nothing about what type of lube to use. The Hanes says SAE 90 Hypoid GL-5....mine appears to have grease in it........

I bought it from a club member, and it looks to have had minimal (if any) use. There is minimal play, and the input shaft could be turned by fingertips to operate the box. The cars steers awesome (for a stock ratio box).

Is there something I don't know here? Is it some underground fact that it's better to put grease in these things?

I don't know the name of the lubricant, but I saw an article in, I believe, Mopar Action a while back where they rebuilt a manual gear. They said the lube was so thick they had to heat it up to get it in. I guess it would have taken too long another way. I don't think its plain old grease, though.

don

OK, that makes sense. It sure doesn't look like regular grease...

I'm placeing a manual box in my car now and opened it to check it out.
Is that what is in the box now?
The FSM says to use SAE 80 and to fill it to the top of the worm gear.
How much of the grease do you use?
When I look in the box now, I can see the worm gear without any grease around it. It just has an oil residue on it.

I suggest Mobil 1 90 w rear end type oil.

Mobil1 MOBIL1 75W90SYN.GEAR LUBE

Part Number: 511303975

Our Price: $8.88

Advance Auto Parts/ Parts America.
Mobil1GearLube.jpg

chad72duster said:
has anyone figured out what lube goes in here?
I Answered this already, a few weeks ago.03-26-2006 07:47 AM

The 1965 Service Technical Manual says use the same goop as for the rear
axle; for a Manual steering box.

The best stuff I know of, is the Mobil 1 gear lube. ;)
cavemanmoron said:
I suggest Mobil 1 90 w rear end type oil.

Mobil1 MOBIL1 75W90SYN.GEAR LUBE

Part Number: 511303975

Our Price: $8.88

Advance Auto Parts/ Parts America.
Mobil1GearLube.jpg

you may have answered with 90 gear oil but that is not what is in my box so is the sync oil compatable. I run Mobile 1 in my 4 speed tranny and my rear but that sure doesnt look like 90 weight to me in this gear box.

The old Mopar service manual recommends part # 2585318 which is Sure-Grip lubricant , multi-purpose gear oil SAE-90. The only other mention is "do not use a pressure gun as the high pressure may damage the seals".I know you started this thread over a month ago and you have certainly filled your steering gear by now but here it is anyway. Perhaps someone can benefit from it.

Actually I left it alone, and just left the grease in it. After all, How am i going to get it out??? (Short of taking it apart).

-
Back