steering column install w/dougs headers?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Just finished restoring the steering column and slid it through the hole and two things immediately showed themselves. First I realized I needed to be sure the shaft spline was in line before proceeding to try and tap the coupler on the steering box. Second, it appears that having the coupler in the narrowest vertical position places it next to the header tube and causes it to be on a slight offset angle which makes me wonder if I could actually tap it forward and have it pop by that tube. It appears that once it clears that tube it should be ok. But then I looked at the tranny column shift bracket and that appears to be even a bigger diameter than the coupler? So it would almost have to sit just past the header tube to have clearance. And my last thought was the relationship between the wheel, the column shift tranny arm and the splines on the steering box? In which clocked position is that tranny linkage arm suppose to be when it is installed? I hope I have all the components put back so the alignment of that arm is correct? Also, with the Dougs headers. Has anyone else on here installed the column after the headers and had issues with interference? How did you solve them? These are just little things that get very complicated real fast? Pictures would maybe help as well?

-
Back