Steering Column inward outward play and square nut installation

-

Raul

Reaction score
It's been years, in my late teens/early 20's....
I tried to change out my turn signal switch on my own with no true knowledge other than being mechanically inclined...(Take it apart, put it back together the same way)
Though I never got passed taking the steering wheel off and disconnecting the horn switch from the plate it sets on. There were I believe 3 of these square nut assemblies that I was able to take off, but I just could not get them back on and ever since then the column would pull out about 1/2" to 5/8" and would feel unsafe. Drove it this way for years....fast fwd 20+years,.. finally, the column is out. The square nut assys are lost, the steering coupler damaged, (half way opened, and I'd like to try and repair it before re-installing it. How is this repaired? Also wanting to remove the gear selector face off of the column as it was an automatic and now is a manual. Appreciate step by step with fotos, if possible.
image.jpg
image.jpg

1st step- you say that the coupler was damaged. Are you talking about the coupler at the box? Is the shaft itself damaged? Pics would help. Also, pics of the top of the column, two square holes in the tube, is there damage there? When we understand the extent of the damage, we will know how to proceed.

1st step- you say that the coupler was damaged. Are you talking about the coupler at the box? Is the shaft itself damaged? Pics would help. Also, pics of the top of the column, two square holes in the tube, is there damage there? When we understand the extent of the damage, we will know how to proceed.
Thank you for the response, I'll take current pics as I dive into it again this coming week. I was referring to the couple where the column joins the gearbox. Though rebuilding the coupler is not an issue, rather that the damage to the coupler being forcibly opened due to the play (inward/outward movement) with the steering wheel.

-
Back