steering column issue help

-

hot rust

Reaction score
restoring 71 demon, manual column, the lower bearing set up the plastic bushing has no bearing left in it and after researching myself the bushing appears to be for one with an automatic as it is the size of the shift tube. the column tube has 3 notches at the bottom instead of the 2 or 3 bolt type that tabs lock into it. this appears to be the original column for car, so where can you find a correct lower bushing/bearing set up for the one with the locking tabs or is this someones attempt at repairing the column, sorry i was working on it today and didn't have my camera with me.

Believe it or not, those columns don't have a bearing in the bottom on a floor shift car. Just that large plastic bushing that appears to do nothing.........Up inside the column, there is a foam donut that slides up the steering shaft into the tube to keep engine compartment crap & heat from migrating up the tube into the drivers compartment. The plastic bushing clips in and keeps the donut from coming out.

Believe it or not, those columns don't have a bearing in the bottom on a floor shift car. Just that large plastic bushing that appears to do nothing.........Up inside the column, there is a foam donut that slides up the steering shaft into the tube to keep engine compartment crap & heat from migrating up the tube into the drivers compartment. The plastic bushing clips in and keeps the donut from coming out.
thank you as i could see no mark on the steering shaft where one would have been. i believe that large plastic bushing is actually the one used for the shift tube on an automatic. my foams on the shaft were long gone

thank you as i could see no mark on the steering shaft where one would have been. i believe that large plastic bushing is actually the one used for the shift tube on an automatic. my foams on the shaft were long gone
I'm sure that you could make something up, or you can get one from Detroit Muscle Technologies. That's where I got mine........Unfortunately, I don't have the part number off hand at the moment. Good luck with the rebuild.

BTW.......The inner column is collapsible, so be gentle with it. The 2 pieces of the inner colum are held in position with an injected plastic type substance.

-
Back