Steering column leaking fluid/oil?

-

Richard McLaughlin

1974 Duster 340
Reaction score
image.jpeg
Hello,
I noticed some oil on my rubber floor mats.
Looked closer, looks like a oil is leaking from my sterring column close to where it meets the carpet (the leak is right above where the carpet is stained a lighter green)
This cause for concern?
I dont have power steering.
Thanks,
Richard

someone must have tried to oil the bearings at some point the factory has grease on then I cannot think of any other reason for it being there unless the master is leaking out the back that would be brake fluid though.

My thoughts exactly, master cyl leaking out the back, it has manual brakes ? brake fluid taking the color out of the carpet.

View attachment 1715042551 Hello,
I noticed some oil on my rubber floor mats.
Looked closer, looks like a oil is leaking from my sterring column close to where it meets the carpet (the leak is right above where the carpet is stained a lighter green)
This cause for concern?
I dont have power steering.
Thanks,
Richard

Looks like mine did when master cylinder leaked. Made light spot on carpet also.

There is a after market oil pressure gague installed as you can see here, at first i thought that was the issue... But then noticed it was by the steering column...
Could it be something to do with this gague?

image.jpeg
You wouldn't happen to have a mechanical oil pressure gauge leaking ?????
Yote

Oil could be a minor leak by the gauge then travel down the line or anything it touches until it drips.
Also could be the oil line to the gauge is worn through. If either is the problem it could cause a real mess on your floor if it totally blows.
Yote

Ok! Is this a major issue? Or something I can ignore?

You will need to replace the master cylinder and bleed the brake lines. You could put up with it a short while but would need to check your brake fluid level constantly . It will also eventually ruin your carpet. Will also take the paint off your firewall and floor.

Is that hard to replace?

Well, for me it's a 20 min job because I know the shortcuts.
Like bench bleeding the master before it goes on and making sure the angle of the disconnected brake lines don't allow fluid to run out of them causing a person to have to bleed the whole system.

One up side is that the master cylinders are inexpensive.

Got the master cylinder replaced... Problem solved!

Thanks guys..

Also seemed to cut down on a bad smell i had when driving the car

-
Back