Steering column looks off center?

-

Justin Angle

Reaction score
So I installed a new aftermarket steering box and after finishing up I get back in the car to hook some wiring back up and notice the column looks off center. Is this normal? I can't remember if it was like this before I swapped p/s boxes.
I then loosened the fire wall bolts and the ones under the column to adjust and it's to the left as far as it can go. Does this look right? Just want to make sure it's right before putting it back on the road.
Thanks advance

20210730_155016.jpg

20210730_155059.jpg

If you check the factory service manual, there are centering tools for the lower column. It should be aligned properly before snugging down all the bolts at the floor and the nuts / studs on the column.

:popcorn:My '71 appears off center towards pas side as well although, I haven't really tried to adjust it as I am not at that stage of the project.

That lower column looks messed up. Looks to be missing a bushing and the bearing. And the coupler the part that I can see, looks messed up too.

Not commenting on your repairs just that it looks like things are not assembled correct.

Like stated using the mounting points you need to center to shaft in the tube.
Also on A bodies the column is not centered on the seat like with B/E bodies.

Thanks for the info yeah I thought something looked off so thought I'd check in. Glad I did. I'll check into link posted. Thanks again.

-
Back