Steering column nut torque

-

prorac1

Reaction score
1963 Plymouth valiant.

Grant steering wheel installation kit.

The nut that holds the adapter onto the splined shaft. It uses the factory nut. No torque specs in directions.

Anybody have the torque spec on this nut?

I know it can be over tightened. Lol. I did just that and broke our old turn signal switch horn button springy thingy.

Thanks. Eric

1963 Plymouth valiant.

Grant steering wheel installation kit.

The nut that holds the adapter onto the splined shaft. It uses the factory nut. No torque specs in directions.

Anybody have the torque spec on this nut?

I know it can be over tightened. Lol. I did just that and broke our old turn signal switch horn button springy thingy.

Thanks. Eric
I use the "feels about right" method. Sorry, don't have a specific torque spec.

I use the "feels about right" method. Sorry, don't have a specific torque spec.

ABOUT 3 CLICKS less than FARM TRACTOR TITE !

Yeah. I’m thinking it’s going to be a by “feel” thing.

Last time we went to put the column back together, I tightened the nut/adapter down farm tractor tight. Lol.

It forced the adapter and brass plate down to tight onto the springy wheely thingy. Breaking it off.

We have a new turn signal switch to install, I just don’t want to break this one. Lol.

Thanks. Eric

Steering Wheel nut is 24 ft-lb according to the '66 manual...

60 ft-lb in the '73 manual...

So somewhere in that range should be good!

Last edited:
It is an interference-fit nut. You do not want, or need, to use Loc-Tite on it.
On my 67 and my sons 69 it threaded down by hand all the way. 70 up i have found them as interference thread, different nut, mechanical locking. I snug and loctite mine. Never had one vibrate loose and fall off yet.

It is an interference-fit nut. You do not want, or need, to use Loc-Tite on it.

On my 67 and my sons 69 it threaded down by hand all the way. 70 up i have found them as interference thread, different nut, mechanical locking. I snug and loctite mine. Never had one vibrate loose and fall off yet.

Ours is an interference style nut, or jam nut if you will.

I just have to make sure tightening it dosent push the adapter to far down over the switch or I will break the new one. Lol.

Thanks. Eric

I know my '69 is interference-fit. I don't believe Mopar ever used anything else. They look like a castellated nut, but aren't. The last few threads are split and deformed out-of-round. Of course that size nut can be found in any hardware store, locking, or non-locking. Someone probably replaced it with a normal nut. Bad idea IMHO.

Last edited:
I dunno, my 67 had that nut, and a spare 67 column i have has the same nut. Looks like a castelated nut. Sold another steering shaft that had the same nut. So far thats 3 of these columns i have been around with the same castellated looking nut. Too much of a coincidence.

-
Back