Steering column question

-

RedStorm

Reaction score
See attached pic. This is my column-shift steering column. I know i need some kind of bearing/bushing/seal where the red arrows are pointing to but i have no idea exactly which one. Many sites that carry these things have generic pics of the part or no pic at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

column_marked.jpg

Take it you're talking about the lower column bearings. I'll have to look closer again, but i don't recall seeing holes in my column to mount the bolts.

Thanks for your help, btw. :)

My 4 speed Demon came from the factory with nothing at all supporting the lower column. I'm in the process of installing a Flaming River steering coupler and since you lose the rigid connection to the steering box that the crappy factory coupler gives 'ya. I ordered the 2 bolt design from Roseville. Drilling 2 tiny holes is no big deal for the added support.

I just checked and i have no holes in that area of the column to mount the bearing. So my column was like Ironmike's with no support at all and i'll have to drill holes or there's another solution....dammit!

I just checked and i have no holes in that area of the column to mount the bearing. So my column was like Ironmike's with no support at all and i'll have to drill holes or there's another solution....dammit!

what year car is that column out of? sometime after 69 or 70 they stopped using the lower column bushings. That looks like one that isn't supposed to have a bushing. You just adjust the location of the column mount to the firewall such that the steering shaft is centered in the column.

It's from a '71 Duster. I'm using an AlterKtion and that comes with a Flaming River box. I had the column in at one time and the steering felt sloppy. Well before i go and spend $$ i'll remount the column and tighten everything down and see what it's like.

the sloppy steering was most assuredly from the 40 year old steering box etc.. it will be as tight as a baby's botttom with the alterkation and FR box

Yea, my bad. I was trying to come up something non-vulgar. You get the point

No when i had the column in before to transport the car the AlterK was already installed. I'm also going to talk to Bill Reilly about this.

-
Back