Steering Column Rebuild?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to swap out the shorter power steering shaft for a manual steering shaft in my 68 Dart. I've never had one of these things apart before. Is it pretty intuitive, or are there special tools needed? Which side does the shaft come out/go in?

Lastly, are there any wear items I should replace while it's apart??

Thanks!!!

I'm doing the same thing sorry I'm no help. But I'm watching so we can learn together.

No special tools required unless you're unable to wiggle the upper section of the column off the shaft. The upper bearing is a slight press fit on the shaft. I've been able to wiggle it out and another time had to make a tool (below) to do it without damage (once snap rings and stuff are removed).

If your turn signal cancel cam is broken you can get a repair kit at Napa. Part# ECH DL6120 (or DL6125 for tilt)

98244.jpg

Attachments

• Remover Tool installed.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 870
Thanks! Which side does it come out of?? the top or bottom?

Depends on how you look at it. If you 'press the shaft out', it will go out the bottom. But, once that upper section is free, the shaft could really come out either direction (with steering coupler removed). You may or may not have a lower bearing to deal with. I didn't.

Got any pics of the column you're working on?

Is the replacement turn signal cancel cam easy to replace??? It looks like there are a ton of wires going to it. Or do those just go to the lower part, which then I'd just have to connect the two red wires??

It's pretty easy to replace once the wheel is removed. You also remove the long screw that secures the turn signal lever. Just cut and splice into the two old wires.

It's pretty easy to replace once the wheel is removed. You also remove the long screw that secures the turn signal lever. Just cut and splice into the two old wires.

Cool, thanks! I didn't get a good look at the mechanism last night before I got pissed. I've got it all disassembled except for the shaft. So, I take it the rest of the wires go to the base of the canceler cam? What's the 'bulb' looking thing with the blue cover over it???

Also, you wouldn't happen to know where the little green spring goes to would ya?? It popped out before I got a chance to see where it went. :banghead:

No special tools required unless you're unable to wiggle the upper section of the column off the shaft. The upper bearing is a slight press fit on the shaft. I've been able to wiggle it out and another time had to make a tool (below) to do it without damage (once snap rings and stuff are removed).

If your turn signal cancel cam is broken you can get a repair kit at Napa. Part# ECH DL6120 (or DL6125 for tilt)

98244.jpg

I got a new turn signal cam because mine was busted. How exactly do you take the old one off? I've tried prying on it, but I don't want to break the assembly. Is there a trick?? Thanks for the part number 70Duster440!

Oh yeah, the little green spring was for the gear selector shifter. Since I no longer have one, it fell out when I took the column apart.

How exactly do you take the old one off? I've tried prying on it, but I don't want to break the assembly. Is there a trick??

Remove the screw that holds it in place and use a screwdriver and pull up on it. It should slide off.

Thanks.

I take it the screw is the large pin-looking thing on the back side that fits in the hole in the collar?

There should be a pin that the directional cam slides onto. Then there is a screw that holds the shaft and cam in place.

I see you have it apart so it should slide off there, just go easy with it so you don't break the other piece.

Can't tell from your picture of the part removed. That is how it came apart on mine.

It could be a little different, my car is a 74. But the pic of the new piece looks just like what I replaced.

Yet another question...

Are the little plastic spacers in the middle of the steering column needed? All of mine were pretty brittle and broke as soon as I touched them. Here are the pieces I'm talking about.

-
Back