Steering Column Rebuilds?

-

RedStorm

Reaction score
The column in my '69 Dart is in need of a rebuild. Both the turn signal lever and the column shift levers have a lot of play in them. I've done a basic web and ebay search for places that would sell rebuilt columns or provide a service to rebuild my current one. The results were mixed. I'm now wondering if any of you good people know of any options.

Thanks!

You can find the parts on ebay, bearings, turn signals, etc.
I have also seen complete brand new columns for under $300 regular and tilt versions, but do not know how accurate they are as the photos I have looked at do not seem to have the holes for bracket the mounts the column to the dash, maybe some one here has bought one and can enlighten us.
The rebuild it self it not that hard to do just document your column with photos so you know how it goes back together.

There really is not much to a 60's column.Very few parts even less if it is a floor shift car. Basic hand tools can do the job.

EC4E0507-4B59-470C-ABCD-BBBE6C49CDEC.jpeg
Factory service manual and go at it. There is nothing in the column that’s complicated. As far as play in the column shifter. That is most likely the two plastic bushings for the shift linkage running from the frame to the trans. Be fore warned “if” the turn and ignition switches work properly still I wouldn’t touch them, reason being the new replacement parts are not that good of quality. I went thru mine and right off found the new ignition switch was bad. I did mine as a winter project. If you can remove it from car you can go thru it.

B7ADE154-C48C-4C84-B2BA-1907C11FC0CE.jpeg

975F3E98-1EB3-47A4-8917-A51EEDC52423.jpeg

The steering column can be rebuilt relatively easy. I just replaced the ignition switch in my Challenger by following the videos from this guy. Very detailed instruction in 3 vids: disassembly, recondition, reassembly. He looks like he rebuilds them if you don't want to do it.

Awesome, thanks for everyone's input. I found more resources on DIY rebuild as well. I'm gonna watch that vid and read more, but I see about doing this myself.

Dubob, regarding my turn signal switch, yes it is functional. However, i do not get much feedback from it that tells me it's engaged. Hard to describe, but turning left, i push the arm down but I do not get a hard stop feeling and it seems i can push the arm down further than intended. I just don't want to break the damn thing.

[QUOTE="RedStorm, post: 1972857946, member: 11984"

Dubob, regarding my turn signal switch, yes it is functional. However, i do not get much feedback from it that tells me it's engaged. Hard to describe, but turning left, i push the arm down but I do not get a hard stop feeling and it seems i can push the arm down further than intended. I just don't want to break the damn thing.[/QUOTE]

When you get it apart, you can see how it operates. I just re wired my car and left the turn signal switch out (for testing) and I can operate it without the lever and it's nice and tight.

Where are you located?

I'm in Ohio. I just got the Dart in November, so I don't have any history with it. Just looking at some quick upgrades I can make before cruising season starts.

-
Back