Steering Column Removal

-

Forrest

Reaction score
How do you remove the steering column from a '69 Dart with manual steering? Motor and tranny are out of the car so I have plenty of space. I also have the column loosened from the firewall back and I am a little familiar with the steering column parts. I did a search but can't find what I need.
Thanks in advance,
Forrest

you need to remove the crush sleeve pin from the coupler (the part attached to the steering box) and then pry it off from there. I have done this a few times and it is usually siezed on there, so I just leave the coupler on the box, and just remove the steerig shaft from the top of the coupler.

There is a trim piece around the column at the dash that needs to be removed. Then there are three bolts and an electrcal connector on the dash frame and three more bolts on the floor. The coupler at the steering box is held on with a roll pin that you will need to drive out to get the coupler off.
If the coupler is rusted onto the box you can just pull it apart and leave the coupler housing on the box. You can get a rebuild kit that includes the retainer clip, seal, sliders and spring clip at your local dealer for around $10.

I see the roll pin on the coupler and the splines on the shaft coming out of the steering box. The way I understand it is to drive out the roll pin and then pry the coupler off of the shaft. Thank you to all responders. I had a general idea of what was needed but I didn't want to start prying and hammering until I heard it from you guys.
Thanks Again,
Forrest

-
Back