Steering column - should I be worried?

-

RD73Scamp

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Need some advice ….do I need to replace this or not worry about it ?

IMG_7756.jpeg

for $20 and about 30 minutes,replace it or swap it out for a U joint style. Almost guarned to be super worn inside with the broken seal. How much slop is in it when you turn the wheel?

Thanks !! I am sure lots of slop!!! I have not driven the car yet.

Putting headers in now and noticed it.

Get the rebuild kit for it, remove it and rebuild it. Simple job.

I ended up retrofitting one of these for a D100 to fit my 73 Duster so I never have to mess with the rebuild kits again. 83$ on Amazon.

Screenshot_20230624-174155_Amazon Shopping.jpg

A 5.2 or 5.6 Magnum Starter makes headers easier amd is way cheaper than a "mini" from most brands. Even the v6 magnum is the same as a mini.

for $20 and about 30 minutes,replace it or swap it out for a U joint style. Almost guarned to be super worn inside with the broken seal. How much slop is in it when you turn the wheel?
What I joint style would you recommend?

What I joint style would you recommend?
POWERWORKS Replaces# 000940 Steering Shaft Assembly for 1979-1993 Dodge D150 W150 D250 W250 D350 W350 Pickup Truck https://a.co/d/bTcCZhG
This one is what I used and it slid right in and I didn't have to trim or fit anything, mine just bolted up.
There are better and worse quality for more or less money, I chose the middle priced.

I do notice that the shaft on my 73 Duster is longer than the one you pictured on your car, that Amazon link may not fit your car.

Just in case you decide to rebuild.
Dorman 425-253 Steering Shaft Repair Kit Compatible with Select Dodge Models https://a.co/d/gD3ryKn
Thanks - I picked up the rebuild kit. Do I need to pull the steering column or at least remove the bolts on the firewall to remove/rebuild this? Or can I do this without that? If I just remove the big roll pin - will the whole unit shift enough so I can remove it without loosening/pulling the steering column?

I've never pulled the roll pin, I always remove the column. It's easy.
A word of caution- there are 2 PLASTIC crush washers where the column botls to the underdash, don't break em.

-
Back