steering column to floor shift

-

Gjason89

Reaction score
im looking into converting my 1969 dodge dart from its steering column to automatic floor shift..ok so help me go in the rite direction people my car is a bench and im looking into changine it to center console automatic floor with bucket seats. does anybody know of a cheap way of putting bucket seats since the original kinds are insanly pricey and im on a budget. if anybody has the automatic center console for sale or thrown to the side please pm me ..thanks gyes this site has been nothing but the best help.:)

You'll need the column or will have to modify your original so it looks like a floor shift column,the floor brackets and console with shifter.

Check it out:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=244591

It's not that big a deal. Just did my 68 B'cuda. I cut the column indicator housing and shifter mount off the collars and filled with short strand fiberglass. They look like the non-column shift collars and a lot cheaper! There is a thread in here for that.
There are dimples in the floorpan where the bucket seat bolt holes go. I suggest using them and fabricating rails for non-original buckets. I also welded 3/16" steel plates for reinforcement for the bucket seat mounts.
Get the plates at a local welding shop. A lot cheaper than ordering. I have seen non-original consoles and shifters installed. I'm not a purist, but I hate to see a 40 yr old car cut up! What ever you like - Go for it and we'll help.
Jim

^^^^^If you we're me would u change it or leave it as is or is it worth the change ???:)^^^^^^

^^^^^If you we're me would u change it or leave it as is or is it worth the change ???:)^^^^^^

You only have to change the column if it matters to you that people can tell it used to be a column shift.
I did it to mine, and don't care that the collar on the column has the spot for the lever on it and the gear indicator.

Some people use Dodge Neon seats for the buckets and seem to like them.
I used to have the column shifter and a bench seat, but I changed to a Hurst Promatic floor shift and Recaro Sport seats out of a BMW 325i recovered in the two tone.
It was worth it.

Attachments

• seats.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 493
-
Back