Steering column years?

-

FomocoReformed

Reaction score
I need to know what year steering columns will interchange with each other, specifically will a 1970 dart p/s a/t column work in a 1971 valiant p/s a/t
I think I've read something about the 70 being a one year only column but I need to be sure.

The differences in A-body columns is that - all standard steering interchange and all power steering interchange. However, some have column shift, some don't. As well, 67-69 used key on dash, 70 key on column. There are differences in the ignition lock method, and I believe 71 started using the long lever across the top. I am pretty sure it is not unusable, however it might not appear correct.

Grant

I believe a '70 to a '71 will work, insofar as I have never heard of this NOT working. The lengths are the same '67 or '68-'76, as long as it is going from a P/S to a P/S car. The ignition should be a plug-n-play set-up, since as OneofMany said, the '70-later models had the key in the column.

Thanks mike it was really the length I was worried about. The guy isn't concerned if it looks correct or not he just needs a column as soon as possible because his car is out of commission and it's his only way to get around.

Much appreciated.

-
Back