Steering column

-

1visciousfish

Reaction score
My first post here so please bear with me. Tried rebuilding the manual steering column on my 68 Cuda, and after 4 fails l am considering a Flaming river or Ididit column. Does anyone have any feedback for either of these units? What parts do I need to complete the install? Also, I would like to get away from the stock rag joint. Any input will be greatly appreciated!

What are you having problems with? Maybe some of us could help.Those aftermarket columns are pricey.

I rebuilt mine too. there's plenty of parts and pieces, springs, etc. Mine is a manual column as well. What do you need help with?

I am trying to fix my manual column, the 2 bolts that connect from the collar to the column won't stay together, tried 4 times so far and now I'm losing patience and interest in keeping the stock column. Also think the rag joint is a poor design, very difficult at best to get everything back together and stay that way. 2 near misses where the column actually came apart while on rest drives , somebody please help!

Thanks for the support, I had a feeling this was the right place to share this issue. So let's see if I can clearly explain the problem. 1, the 2 bolts that trap the collar and column housing won't stay together, I don't know if I am over tightening them or what, but they just won't stay. 2 the rag joint is a pain at best to get installed on the steering box and the cover that clamps over the internals tends to come loose. I can't be the only one to experience this problem. I'm just a shade tree mechanic trying to save a little cash for the really important stuff, this has got me frustrated! HELP!

I have a Flaming river tilt column in my 68 Barracuda. They are a little tricky to instal. The aluminum mount that comes with it positions the column way to low. You have to flip it over and trim the mount to clear the dash frame. have to make a washer/seal at the firewall. But in the end it is nice. I know the two nuts your speaking of, they are tricky to lock in place.

-
Back