Steering Coupler Removal

-

gradedcatfood

1972 Plymouth Duster 440
Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to remove my steering coupler from my 1972 duster and having issues.
I bought a Flaming River FR1506P steering coupler to hopefully help with some header clearance issues.
I have already removed the roll pin that connects the coupler from the steering box.
I've heard of a "dowel" pin near the top of the coupler that I need to remove but I don't see it on the coupler. I have taken my cut off wheel to verify that I don't have a pin that could be removed (and yes, I checked both flat sides). This is the thread I'm referring to about the dowel: steering coupler replacement (how to)

Please see the photos I have attached, and thank you for the help in advanced!

IMG_4099.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

Hard to tell if that is a factory coupler due to the grinding, but if it is, there is in fact a pin that is typically there. It typically just does not allow for the coupler to completely be removed, but there is forward/reverse free movement/slop, do you have that movement? You would typically drive it in with a punch or nail until it frees the coupler wall thickness and drops out into the coupler cavity. Note the pin is located on one of the faces of the coupler which is the greatest dimensional size, or in other words the same direction as the roll pin.

You may be able to locate/see the pin if you just use a mirror to look into the coupler cavity. There will likely be a lot of grease/ dirt that would obscure things, so you may also try using a small screwdriver or wire to feel inside the coupler to locate the pin, as it does project into the coupler cavity. Know this is a pain, but if you want to go through the work of removing the column, you would be able to work things much more easily.

Here are a couple of pics that may help.

smallpin.jpg

smallpin2.jpg

Last edited:
I recently redid my coupler as well. I did not have the pin at the top however, the years of junk and gunk kept the column in the coupler very well. I would also recommend removing the column to give yourself more space to work.

Also, it looks like your steering box and column weren't aligned correctly, or you already moved the column. This might have caused the internal dogs to bite and dig into the coupler sides, making it difficult to remove. (this is pure guess)

Just a little recap on what I had to do in order to get it off. As far as I can tell I did not have the pin at the top. I ended up slicing it like a hotdog with the cutoff wheel in order to remove it. I didn't mind having to do it considering I am replacing it with the flaming river coupler (looking good so far!) Thanks for the help everyone :)

Coupler refused to come off. Tried everything to slide it off and I believe I had had everything removed that could be removed in order for it to come off

-
Back