steering coupler tightness

-

stoke

Reaction score
How tight should the steering coupler be to the steering shaft, should it have any wiggle to it ? I cant seem to get it to be without movement I wouldnt think it should have any. But I dont know. You would think even a little movement would transfer to a lot at the steering wheel. Kind of a mickey mouse connection if you ask me. Thanks

How tight should the steering coupler be to the steering shaft, should it have any wiggle to it ? I cant seem to get it to be without movement I wouldnt think it should have any. But I dont know. You would think even a little movement would transfer to a lot at the steering wheel. Kind of a mickey mouse connection if you ask me. Thanks

You shouldn`t have any slop there. Kits are available to rebuild that joint from many vendors or you can replace it with a coupling from Flaming River. The FR joint is pricey but a nice improvement.

I forgot to say I have power steering. I have the repair kit in but it still has play. I cant believe that the shoe setup on the couplers could ever get real tight.

I got a new power steering unit but it is not not in yet. The column is out of the car and I am just prefitting everything before I put everything back together Do you think it will tighten up when I fill it up with grease and tighten the set screw?

The box will make a big difference if the old one was trashed. Are you sure the play is in the box/column or could it be further down the line in the pitman arm, tie rod ends, idler arm, etc.?

I just wanted to get everything as tight as possible before I put everything back in. Then I will go from there and check the rest of the suspension farther down the line. Guess I will just throw the power steering chuck and the column back in and see how it is all together we'll see how it goes, Thanks

that jont should have zero play wen you put it together you should have to tap it together with hamer handel ..

I just found the problem, I had the shoes in the wrong way. Guess I should always try the obvious first. Looks like it should work well. Thanks Longgone for the input. Stoke

I just found the problem, I had the shoes in the wrong way. Guess I should always try the obvious first. Looks like it should work well. Thanks Longgone for the input. Stoke

TE,TE EEEEEEE. Hey anyone that has worked on cars long enough throws a brain fart every now and then.

Now that I have the coupler tight , What order do they go back in ? Do you put the coupler on the power steering chuck, then install the column, or on the column first then push onto the chuck? thanks

Now that I have the coupler tight , What order do they go back in ? Do you put the coupler on the power steering chuck, then install the column, or on the column first then push onto the chuck? thanks

Easiest way That I found is put the coupler on the column, then install it.

I put the coupler on the steering column first and then guide it on to the gear box. See if you can get a friend to help you orient the coupling in the correct position in the engine compartment while you work the column in to place inside the car.

-
Back