steering gear slop

-

74 dustaar

Reaction score
I have has slop in the steering gear on my 1974 duster. All other parts have been replaced with moog. The tech that did my front end alignment said I have slop and I am woundering if that nut on top of the steering gear is some kind of adjustment and how to adjust it if anyone knows PLEASE tell. Thank-You

If this is Power steering, that is a jam nut. Use an allen wrench or bit in a ratchet to hold it and a 5/8 wrench to loosen the nut. I only turned the adjustment 1/2 turn at a time, then took it for a spin around the block. Make sure that jam nut is TIGHT when your done!!!!! Make sure you have PLENTY of PS fluid; I use CAM2, I don't think it's as thin as normal PS fluid. This isn't rack and pinion steering, so it might be somewhat loose.

Thank-You!!!!! Yes it is power steering and I thought that was an adjustment, danm tech at ------ the shop I wont name it, told me I needed a new unit. It is filled with just regular power steering fluid. I did a total removal of the suspension and replaced it myself even the torshion bars with the help of this site and Mopar Muscle mag. People like you Whitey are awesome !! Thanks again

Just to add another thought to whitey's.....

Loosen the jamb nut about 1/2 turn and hold the jamb nut with the wrench while using an allen to screw the stud down. As soon as you feel any resistance at all while screwing the stud down, back it off 1/4 turn and test drive. Also, when you tighten the jamb nut back up, make sure you are still holding the allen in the stud so it doesn't tighten further.

It's easy to overtighten these and cause wandering problems.

For best results ajust in small incraments as noted but u should do the adjusting with the wheels pointed strieght ahead and after adjusting turn the wheels lock to lock to check for any "tight" spots.

For best results ajust in small incraments as noted but u should do the adjusting with the wheels pointed strieght ahead and after adjusting turn the wheels lock to lock to check for any "tight" spots.
Another check would be...start engine...steering wheel play should be at least 3/4 " total. Around 1" is about right...(1/2" either side of centre), while watching for the slightest movement of the front tire.

YEA!!!!! steer's great , Did my first burn out. 318 w/360j heads , 904 with a 3:55 detroit locker. I am going to try to post pics

-
Back