steering gear

-

dan5354

Reaction score
I need some direction on whether or not to rebuild my manual steering gear. It's a 67 Barracuda 383. The steering box is leaking through the input shaft. I am in the process of rebuilding the suspension. While doing that I found that one of the noises I had while turning was the idler arm and not the box like I thought It's a given that seal has to be done. It seems like the lube they have in there is too light - which brings up another question - what kind of lube? I've heard straight grease, or maybe a mix of grease gear oil. If straight grease what type? The main question though is whether or not to just send the box out to get rebuilt. Is there any way to check it off the car. It was tough to park, but that's the way they are. With it out of the car there doesn't seem to be any slop. There's a few places for a rebuild- Lares through Rock Auto, Firm feel, and Steer and Gear. Lares is the least expensive. If I go that route is there any reason to just get this one rebuilt or take one that's already done. Do the numbers on matter? Sorry for the long question, but thanks in advance.

I've rebuilt a few and installed the fast ratio worm gear, its a piece of cake. The /6 boxes only used bushings in the sector shaft, so I would recommend firm feel bore the case and install needle bearings. I think they will rebuild your factory worm gear or change to a fast ratio if you want. The fast ratio worm gears really make a difference in the input needed to turn your car, not the best if you have a heavy front end. Being a big block you should already have needle bearings in the sector shaft, and I would stick with your factory worm gear. I used wheel bearing grease and topped it off with gear oil.

Check out the October 2014 issue of mopar action, its a good rundown on the manual box rebuild.

-
Back