Steering gearbox...whats wrong with this??

-

Hadahemi

Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of putting the 440 in my 72 Demon, and discover that I have the wrong conversion mounts (more on that in another thread), but in the process I started looking closer at the power steering gearbox and the column itself. See in the second pic how the shaft of the column isnt centered in relation to the outside sleeve? I had noticed this before, but kind of blew it off until now because the shaft looks like it HAS to go at that angle to be properly mounted into the gearbox. This leads me to the big question... do I have the wrong gearbox in my car? If not, can anyone explain why the column geometry is like this?

020.jpg

021.jpg

022.jpg

i think the 3 bolt at the firewall {on the in side of the car} will let you move that column part over some.just a geuss my column is out of my car right now

I agree the inside bolts will let you move it into place. The bushing on the end looks shot. And the coupler cover can be reinstalled or replaced.

Also check the bolts at the dash, they will allow the column to move side to side as well

Mis-alignment and the bottom bearing is gone. The large plate that mounts around the column to the floor has holes that allow it to be moved to center the column to the box, however, with the bottom bearing gone it would be an iffy 2 man job to do since the shaft is kinda flopping around inside the column at the bottom.

I forget what year they stopped using lower column bearings. My 72 has the same column as yours. loosen the three bolts that connect the column the floor move the column to center it.

-
Back