Steering Help

-

Robb

Reaction score
I have been inspecting everything on the barracuda I bought recently, and I noticed this between the steering box (it's a firm feel if that matters) and the column. What is it? Should it be connected? Anyone see any issues here? I have never had a box out so I am clueless.... Help please!

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3959.jpg

IMG_3960.jpg

That would be the coupler seal clip, and yes, it should be clipped down. you can use some needle nose pliers to straighten it out ( without pulling the column ) and bend the fingers so they will clip around the coupler. AND you can use this opportunity to check the grease inside.

Same thing happened to my Duster. Darn clip came lose after installing header's (Hedman's)-- one of the tubes made contact with the clip while turning the wheel. Those cheap pos header's were nothing but trouble.

Thanks for the info... you said
AND you can use this opportunity to check the grease inside.
Is the orange thing in the picture the seal? How does it come out and how to you add grease? Told you I was clueless about it!

Robb those O.E couplers are junk, compared to what you can get. If you plan to take things apart one day these couplers are the ticket. They are not cheap but look and feel perfect. D http://flamingriver.com/

DSCN0932.jpg

Those flamingriver parts look really nice... I will have to do some research on the swap... Thanks!

Rob,
The orange seal just slides back, the clip is what holds it in place. From there, just smash some goop in like a wheel bearing... I had mine apart just this weekend ( box swap )
The flaming river piece is nice, but the old coupler will do just fine ( I've seen them have no play even with a broken key ) unless it's in the way.

-
Back