Steering Options

-

Sinister.

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on the various steering systems based on a few parameters.

I have a rather tight budget, but have decided to build a 451 from a 400 block that I have. My problem is that headers are going to be a 'must have' for this engine, but steering plays a large part on my options.

So given that, and that this car will be driven on the street 90% of the time. It's not a daily driver by any means... more of a weekend cruiser. What would you do as far as steering goes? The car is currently equipped with a power steering column/gear box, unfortunately it seems if I want to keep the power steering I have to use TTI or Schumacher headers, both of which carry a hefty price tag. Would it be worth switching to manual or has anybody experimented with a rack and pinion swap from a junkyard vehicle?

My opinions as it seems:
Keep power steering - requires relatively expensive headers
Convert to manual steering - allows more variety, and cheaper headers, but requires manual gear box and probably centerlink as well as input shaft.
Rack and Pinion - I'm not sure if this can be scavenged and I'm not sure what options it would give me as far as headers go. I do know that new conversion units generally seem to be far out of my price range.

Any ideas?

If it's 90% street keep the power steering. If you can spring the cash one of the upgraded rebuilt boxes from Firm Feel or Steer & Gear would be best.

My Barracuda was originally a manual steer car, three years ago I swapped in power steering. It has been one of the best upgrades I have made. It went from a slow responding barge to a light an nimble handler not to mention no more thrashing in the parking lot.

The Chrysler power steering from the 60's and 70's was noted for being over boosted resulting in no feel. This can be improved dramatically by dialing in more caster into the alignment (offset ULA bushings help here tremendously). Going with an aftermarket steering box. Or, taking apart the pump and shimming the pressure relief valve to lower the pump pressure. I have dialed in as much caster as I can get with stock bushings and use a smaller diameter steering wheel. This helped a lot but I would like more feel so one of my winter projects is to shim the pump.

-
Back