Steering shaft bushing for '66 Cuda

-

4spdcuda66

Reaction score
It looks like there should be a bushing that supports the steering shaft to the housing. This little plastic one in the photo is not big enough around in circumference to support it. I have a '66 service manual but it does not detail this particular part. Have any of you encountered this or know where to get the parts I need to service the steering shaft?

Attachments

• steering shaft 1.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 123
  • steering shaft 2.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 128
  • steering shaft 3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 118
All the early A's ever had was the seal as shown in dogbreath's post. Ran across a guy in Raleigh, NC that makes a Delrin bushing for the end of the column. Don't know if it's really needed since the end of the steering shaft can't move unless the steering box does. He wants $50 plus shipping for it. Let me dig around and see if I can find his contact info for you.

Thanks dogbreath and wildncrazyguy, that's exactly what I was looking for. FABO rules!! Oh, wildncrazy, love that avatar!!:salute:

All the early A's ever had was the seal as shown in dogbreath's post. Ran across a guy in Raleigh, NC that makes a Delrin bushing for the end of the column. Don't know if it's really needed since the end of the steering shaft can't move unless the steering box does. He wants $50 plus shipping for it. Let me dig around and see if I can find his contact info for you.
Thanks grumps. In the article wildncrazyguy posted it says exhaust gas can seep into the cabin through a worn or missing seal. It does seem unlikely that the shaft would move once it's all buttoned up. Thanks for the reply.

-
Back