Steering shaft to power steering box coupling

-

demon seed

The Original Demon Seed
Reaction score
Has anyone got a picture that shows the proper orientation of the shoes before they go into the coupling body. I'd like to get it right the first time. I'm pretty sure I know, just want a second opinion. Almost forgot, 70 Duster.

I should remeber but it has been about a year since I put mine back together, but it will only go back together one way. I believe the spring is looped so it is over the end of the shaft and the shoes then will have the beveled ends set so they are in the direction of the sliding movement. It is sort of funny the things you don't remember after taking a car completely apart and putting it back together!

I just did this yesterday, the spring clip goes up against the cross shaft first, say the side facing towards you with the steering shaft vertical, there should be a cut out on the spring for orientation, then the shoes go on the cross shaft with the curved side out. The spring clip will go over the tops of the shoes. The clip will fit in the shoe tops. You will have to fill the coupler with grease about 1/2" from the top, then squeeze the shoes together and slide them in. Worked real slick. I got my rebuild kit from Moparts, good guys.

A little fuzzy but this may help:

Coupler.jpg

Coupler.jpg

-
Back