Steering turning too far??!!

-

aengineguy

Reaction score
Still having issues with steering components. I started a thread about 2 weeks ago, but have not recieved much help. Below is what the original thread had. Additionally, I dropped the engine and trans in the other day and now noticed that when I turn to the right all the way the tie bar is hitting the Kevco oil pan just as I turn all the way to the right. The only things I can think of is that the pitman may be wrong. I checked with Just Suspension and they indicated that they sent me the correct one. The manual box came from Car Steering and it does not appear like there could be too many options for other manual boxes. The tie bar is original, the LCA's are original.

Thanks for the help!

"Here is one I really need some help with.....probably something stupid on my part.

I did all the research before doing this.

71 Dart swinger, was power steering went to manual box. Installed all new steering components, tie rods and sleeves, pitman, idler, ball joints upper and lower, parts from Just Suspension. Installed latest Wilwood Disc kit, this is the one that does not stick out as much as the earlier kits, thereby keeping the width of your track more in line with original.

Problem is the bolt which was supplied by Wilwood to mount the new components (see picture) hits the domed protrusion on the LCA prior to the steering box being rotated all the way to its stop limits, both sides of the car. I can adjust the tie rods so they don't hit and steering box will hit it's limits, but the there is major toe in.

Wilwood was perplexed by this and after a couple of months sent me a shorter Flat Head Socket Cap Screw and thinner nut, which helped a little, but still hitting before I can get the wheels zero toe. I believe I was one of the first to install their latest kit.

Have been building engine and the like, but am about 2 weeks away from fire up and rolling down the street. Sure would appreciate your thoughts guys and gals.

Thanks.......!!"

Attachments

• SANY0264.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 182
Take the rotor off remove the problem bolt and reinstall facing the other way so the head is facing the arm. Then check to see if the nut will clear the rotor. I haven't been under my front end in so long I don't even remember which way that bolt is supposed to face, but I remember there being special bolts holding the knuckle to the LBJ.

Thanks......Wish I could do this. This is one of the bolt supplied by Wilwood and is a flat head socket cap screw. The original bolt had a radius on the head. Wilwood supplied me with a shorter bolt and Grade 8 jam nut, but it still contacts. Its as if something has changed since I built everything up, as indicated by the center link hitting the Kevco pan. I have never heard of anyone complaining about that issue.

-
Back