Steering U Joint Questions

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not A body, but my 49 Dodge Pilothouse rat truck. I am looking at this type steering U joint to connect to the original 3/4 round steering shaft and transition to a 3/4 dd shaft. It had two set screws on the dd side and one on the smooth side. I plan on drilling an appropriate corresponding hole in the shaft for the set screw, but this does not seem safe to me. Will that one set screw really hold it together? I really didn't want to have a weld joint for future disassembly, but safety if paramount here. What say some of yall?
Flaming River FR1706DDPL Flaming River Billet-Joint Steering Universal Joints | Summit Racing

Here’s a less expensive one if a couple is what you’re looking for.

[FOR SALE] - Borgeson Coupler 036425 new and sealed
Well that answers my question about one thing. It takes a roll pin. That would be good for disassembly, but is it safe? I would assume it is if they're on the market.

Thanks for linking that, but it's the wrong size. I need 3/4 dd to 3/4 smooth bore.

I got one off ebay I believe its the same as what your looking for let me see if I can find it again.

This is what I got its a 3/4 round x 3/4 36 spline. Im not sure if that will help or not.

Screenshot_20220320-042959_eBay.jpg

Rob, as much as you dont want to, i would tack weld it. The hollow tube will distort and wear if you use a through bolt.
Two set screws 90 degrees from each other is the next best to welding. Unless you press a rod inside tube to make it solid. No more horn wire though. Need a support bearing above the u-joint in the tube, you already know that.
My next project is getting a different column. Tilt wheel. Yup.

‘91 & up dodge truck, Dakota, maybe Durango, but not sure about the rack and pinion. They had a Borgeson type joint that drilled through the solid double D shaft. I’ve got a 2000 Durango parts pile. I’ll check it out today to see if I can assist.

Rob, as much as you dont want to, i would tack weld it. The hollow tube will distort and wear if you use a through bolt.
Two set screws 90 degrees from each other is the next best to welding. Unless you press a rod inside tube to make it solid. No more horn wire though. Need a support bearing above the u-joint in the tube, you already know that.
My next project is getting a different column. Tilt wheel. Yup.
I'm already without the horn wire so no loss there. Yeah, I agree with the welding. Although I'm thinkin a "little" more than tack welds. lol

‘91 & up dodge truck, Dakota, maybe Durango, but not sure about the rack and pinion. They had a Borgeson type joint that drilled through the solid double D shaft. I’ve got a 2000 Durango parts pile. I’ll check it out today to see if I can assist.
Thanks Garrett!

I checked out the steering shaft on the Durango. I think it may be what you need to overcome some of the angularity and direction problems you mentioned. It's got a heavily oversized universal joint at the rack and pinion and then one up near the firewall at the column output with a urethane disc joint in the middle and the lower end is equipped with a booted side joint.
What do you think?
Lower Intermediate Steering Shaft For Dodge Durango Dakota 2000 4WD 425-265 Sale | eBay

I checked out the steering shaft on the Durango. I think it may be what you need to overcome some of the angularity and direction problems you mentioned. It's got a heavily oversized universal joint at the rack and pinion and then one up near the firewall at the column output with a urethane disc joint in the middle and the lower end is equipped with a booted side joint.
What do you think?
Lower Intermediate Steering Shaft For Dodge Durango Dakota 2000 4WD 425-265 Sale | eBay
I like how it looks. Is there any way to tell what the connections are and what size? Whether splined, double d, smooth or what?

Top looks like it is 3/4 opposed D and the lower is splined. O'Reillys may have the spline count and sizes on it, I'll get back here in a minute. It will probably be Thursday before I can remove it to see...

They also make a 3/4 dd to round shaft if you simply need to adapt. I typically use flaming river joints however the offshore clones are looking better every decade.

They also make a 3/4 dd to round shaft if you simply need to adapt. I typically use flaming river joints however the offshore clones are looking better every decade.
That's the one I'm going to get to go from the stock 49 steering shaft to a 3/4 dd shaft. I got the dd shaft today. One piece at a time. lol

-
Back