Steering Wheel Conversion

-

canucksdude

Reaction score
Hey all, I am looking to convert the factory wheel(pictured) over to a Tuff wheel replica (open to suggestions for which one to get). Also, I want to get rid of the column shift piece and I know classic industries makes a column shift eliminator. Has anyone done this exact swap over before? Will I need a Tuff whee adapter? Looking for guidance and suggestions on parts, how it went, etc.

Thanks in advance

1d26c639-a348-4288-acda-7a018c02a440.jpeg

I haven't used the classic industries piece, but I did convert my column shift over to a floor shift column using stock parts. I also run a reproduction Tuff wheel. You will need a Tuff wheel adaptor, either the original style that came with these cars from the factory or some kind of aftermarket reproduction, the Tuff wheel and even the reproduction Tuff wheels are not set up to bolt straight to the column.

The column style swap over is relatively straight forward, but you do need to disassemble everything and remove the roll pin from the upper end of the steering shaft. It can be done while in the car, but it's a lot easier to pull the entire column so you can deal with the pins and bearings and things on a bench instead.

Appreciate the reply. What repro Tuff wheel did you choose? Grant has a couple, one I don’t care for (#846) and one that looks closer to factory (#1004). I know flaming river (expensive) and PG make them as well but PG doesn’t offer a horn button. Also, which Tuff wheel adapter would you recommend buying? A picture of your wheel would be helpful as well!

-
Back