Steering Wheel Repair - What epoxy???

-

mopowers

Reaction score
For those who have restored cracked steering wheels, what epoxy have you had luck with? The wheel I'm working on has a few pieces that have broken off that I have to glue back on. In the past, I've had problems with JB weld sticking to plastics. What do you all use???

Thanks!

For those who have restored cracked steering wheels, what epoxy have you had luck with? The wheel I'm working on has a few pieces that have broken off that I have to glue back on. In the past, I've had problems with JB weld sticking to plastics. What do you all use???

Thanks!
I used PC-7

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BOHJJ0/?tag=joeychgo-20

DSCF3015.JPG
DSCF3013 - Copy.JPG
DSCF3014.JPG
DSCF3016.JPG
DSCF4122.jpg
DSCF4121.jpg
DSCF3012.JPG
DSCF3011.JPG

I have used JB weld on a 59 impala wheel I used on a 1960 El Camino I restored, I V notched all the cracks down to solid material and filled it. Worked great, bonded good.

I wouldda thrown that POS in the trash. No offense. Nice job!
Yep, that's true craftsmanship. I woulda tossed it too, and looked for a better one myself, but then again I have been known to redo stuff I shoulda tossed , just because it's a challenge to see if I could actually repair it. LoL

I wouldda thrown that POS in the trash. No offense. Nice job!
Thanks, At the time that was the only steering wheel I had available to move the car around (oh broken ankle too!) and doc said not to move too much so it would heal so the "WIFE" put her foot down and grounded me from working on the body work and welding , money was tight since I was saving up for my motor parts and didn't want to piss off the wife. but I did have the pc-7 and I was bored as all getout. so the wheel got done just cause I was soooooo bored.

That's the same one I'm working on - 66 Dart. Mine's nowhere near as bad as the one your started with. Very impressive!
if I was (well I am) going to do another one I'll make a Dremmel jig with a sanding drum on it to do the finger grips. that way I can just put the steering wheel flat just like you see it on the car and position it so that all I have to do is slide it forwards and the sanding drum does the work. slide back, rotate it a bit and forwards again. Since doing the finger grips was the worst part of fixing the steering wheel. doing it by hand SUCKS!

I've used JB Weld more than once on steering wheels and it turned loose each time. I had it prepped real good, too. Looked great at first, but over time it separated.

I thought of that but the cost(applicator gun and supplies) was a factor. plus have you ever had to sand that stuff? it's horrible unless it's set for months . I worked part time helping a body shop do replacement panels and fell in love with that stuff until I had to sand down an oozing seam. never again waaaaayyyyy too much work for me. I'm lazy, really, really lazy to do that much work again.

That's the same one I'm working on - 66 Dart. Mine's nowhere near as bad as the one your started with. Very impressive!
thanks I had wanted to update the cars look while redoing it and the wheel (plus forced immobilization from the doc and wife) helped me decide to do it. it went with the speedo refresh
DSCF4161.JPG
DSCF4162.JPG
DSCF4172.JPG
DSCF4177.JPG
DSCF4179.JPG

Mine really isn't in horrible shape. There are just a few chips (I have most of the pieces) on one of the spokes that I need to glue back on. JB Weld just doesn't do well gluing plastic together, so I need to find another product. That panel bond looks intriguing, as does the PC-7. How good is the PC-7 as an adhesive for small pieces? Replicating the tiny ridges where the repair won't be fun either. Oh well, it'll be a good winter bench project for a future hotrod.

upload_2019-12-29_13-29-59.png

upload_2019-12-29_13-30-15.png

upload_2019-12-29_13-29-36.png

upload_2019-12-29_13-29-47.png

luv this stuff
my wheel hasn't cracked yet 2+ years summer /winter

this cures somewhat more flexible/forgiving than the true JB

prep is everything right??

mixed it,let it "cook off" until it's like molases and pour it into the cracks to seep in//used cardboard and cloths pins as side dams

clean the cracks well any exposed metal in the rim got treated with a rust converter

IMG_20191229_170125016.jpg

Mine really isn't in horrible shape. There are just a few chips (I have most of the pieces) on one of the spokes that I need to glue back on. JB Weld just doesn't do well gluing plastic together, so I need to find another product. That panel bond looks intriguing, as does the PC-7. How good is the PC-7 as an adhesive for small pieces? Replicating the tiny ridges where the repair won't be fun either. Oh well, it'll be a good winter bench project for a future hotrod.

View attachment 1715444778

View attachment 1715444779

View attachment 1715444776

View attachment 1715444777
I cheated and waxed the good section ,sprayed with pam anti stick buffed dry a bit and actually mad a bondo "think bubble gum or that old playdough trick" to mimic the shape, slathered some pc-7 on the broken part and slapped on the (again waxed and pam sprayed,but added saran wrap over that since I was still a bit chicken it would stick) bondo mold for a good shape like the other side of the wheel. clamped it tight and waited (seemed like forever but was only a day) till the pc-7 cured,BTW it glues just fine holding the horn section together on mine (3rd year and counting , no cracks now checking and it's in Florida sun 12-16 hours a day) but if you really need a "hot" glue as in fast look into H-6 https://www.amazon.com/RH-Adhesives...ocphy=9012092&hvtargid=pla-313565211053&psc=1. it's a fast vinyl glue (well vinyl is pvc so it counts for me.) I've used it a lot if I can't get shavings and melt the plastic in an acetone slurry , that does work best if it'll melt your steering wheel plastic (the acetone and plastic melted into it I mean)

-
Back